Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1990 RC with a locked up 318, 4 speed granny-low, 4x4, Dana 44 front axle, 9 1/4 rear, and 3.54:1 gears. The engine is locked up, and I hate the granny tranny. I am considering doing a frame off restoration, and updating the hell out of the truck. The question's that I have, concern buying a wrecked 98 or newer 3/4 ton dodge, and swapping everything over onto my RC frame. Does anyone know for sure if the axles from one of these newer trucks will work under my frame. Also, I am needing to know if the dash and instrument cluster out of one of these newer trucks will fit. Some modification is ok if necessary, but if it is gonna require a whole lot of fabrication, I am not messing with it. Any tips, ideas, or thoughts will be appreciated and answered. Also, all parts off of the old truck will be for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, you'd need to bring all the electronics with the new engine and trans...
Look under the newer trucks, as the transfer case and differentials are now on the "other" side tha the older trucks. This is not an issue if you are swapping the entire drivetrain from a late model, although you will have to fabricate a variety of mountings and brackets.

How about just finding a '90-'93 or so 360 automatic, and swapping it into the hole...

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah like Smokey said you will need to weld some perches and if there is even room for it where the center section sits on the other side, your better off doing axles of the same year, probably easier and less cursing.
I agree with Smokey though maybe get a 360 and toss it in

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened, was a fire under the hood. My TBI is burnt, harness for it is burnt, and now the engine is locked up from the water. I have waited 10 years to get a RC, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let this one go. I am wanting to go for a real custom job here, that's why I want to upgrade the whole drivetrain. I am not worried about the welding aspect, or having to make or purchase brackets. The only thing I'm not clear on is the new axle dimensions out of the 98 and up trucks.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah your going to have to hit a junk yard and measure them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts