Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up gurus, been a long time since i been to this board, you guys have always been such a help in the past...this might be one for the vehicle help board..if so i apologize...here we go...
I got some extra money just burning a damn hole in my pocket, and too many parts catalogs lying around...For my 1996 5.9L mag, I wanted to go with a K&N intake kit, but i don't know how effective they are...What types of exhausts would complement that kind of mod? whats the equation for figuring exhaust diameter? and what about aftermarket throttlebodies...hopefully i won't get banished for asking questions in the wrong place...old schoolers put me in my place...thanks....Ed

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
headers are always a good addition. k and n's flow more air, but dont filter as well at first. not to sure about throttle bodies, not many of them out there for the older trucks that make up the majority of the board here.

Duane

·
2,317 Posts
there a couple of companys that do tb,headers,under drive pulleys,360 coldair intake(look for the add on site)high flow cat,cat back exhaust...flowmaster,dynomax,borla to name a few.and welcome..( noticed 2 posts.)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
i got my brother a mopar throttle bodie and that made a diffirance.not huge but you can feel it

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I have the K&N cold air kit and I got a 1 mpg increase and the performance difference was like when I had my A/C running after the mod it felt like it use to with A/C off before the mod.

·
2,317 Posts
mopar has a replacement computer.check the mopar performance book for part#

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get the Mopar PCM - check www.mopartsracing.com.
Headers and a good muffler. High flow cat while you are at it.
52mm ported and polished TB from Fastman, or a billet 52mm from F&B. You can port your own as well, just takes some time.
Mopar M1 intake - you will lose some low end as the powerband moves higher in the rpm range. Great mod though. I love mine. You can also pull your existing intake off and port/polish it and cut down the intake runners. Makes a difference on the low end. I know a guy who does the work for around $100. While you are doing that pick up a hughesengines billet belly pan kit and eliminate the belly pan gasket leak these engines are known for.
Tune your TPS and reloace your IAT sensor.
Autolite 3923 plugs work well, as do the equivalent NGKs, but they are a little more expensive.

That should get you started. From there throw in some Crower 1.7 roller/rockers and a ported 1.92 R/T head. 1.7s will require a slight mod on the baffles in the valve covers. 1.6s are a direct fit, but you get minimal gains from them. 1.6s work better when paired with a good cam instead. 3.92 gearing or higher on the rear.

Final mod would be a Paxton or Vortech supercharger, depending on miles on the engine.

The magnums work best with a single exit 3" exhaust or dual 2.5". Mopar/PPH headers are your best choice for power, and are still made for these engines. It is getting harder to find good performance parts for the earlier Magnum applications these days. Doug Thorley made some of the best headers, but I am not sure they made them for the Ram.

As far as mufflers go, I am partial to the spintech only because I like to be a little different. Those who have used the spintech have reported good results. Flowmasters are either loved or hated. Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
do some mods to the intake and exhaust before you go with the computer. The aftermarket MP computer is too rich for a stock engine.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the help guys! at least now I have a little more direction, and i know where to put the money first. There is nothing more irritating that shelling out cold hard cash for a mod you think will be badass, and finding its a total flop. I will post updates when i get some of this stuff in. thanks a million. Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts