Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around under the dash of my 85 today, and I found something interesting and a bit confusing. behind the passenger side vent (just to the right of the glove box) there's a small, white box with one plug going to it. the plug itself was red, with 4 wires going into it. however, this plug wasn't connected to the box at the time.

I was curious, so I removed it from it's happy home behind the dash and was trying to figure out exactly what it was. on one side, there was a small cover which hid a 9 volt battery. ??? there's a mopar part # on it, so it prolly came from the factory. I tried to find something in my manual about it, but it didn't show anything helpful, as usual (@#%$ hanes crap!).

so now, I'm sitting here, scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly it is. the truck runs fine and everything I have hooked up works. Any ideas? I'm guessing cruse control.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Battery back up for the clock, or battery back up for station presets

·
Super Moderator
30,043 Posts
I believe that is the engine mantainance reminder box. It is set to light the check engine light at a specific mileage (its connected to the odometer) when the EGR system is to be serviced or checked.
Or something like that!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrighty then. since this truck doesn't have a check engine light, and the factory radio is long gone, out it goes!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
JonkeyKong said:
alrighty then. since this truck doesn't have a check engine light, and the factory radio is long gone, out it goes!
Oh wait it controls something important (couldn't think of nothing fast enough)

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
it is a battery back up for the blinker fluid resevior. It lights up when your blinker fluid is getting low.

G

·
KThaxton said:
I believe that is the engine mantainance reminder box. It is set to light the check engine light at a specific mileage (its connected to the odometer) when the EGR system is to be serviced or checked.
Or something like that!
DING DING DING
You sir are correct

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It's the government monitoring interface. The men in the black van will be by to see you shortly. PUT IT BACK!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yeah i mean dude, if its not hooked up then whats it hurt? just kleave it in if someone ever checks for it, just put a dead battery in and say it died on you if its not working

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It does not hurt a thing to take out the battery and chuck it, an disconnect that wiring harness and stuff that box back in the corner so you don't have to find someplace to store it in the garage. Mine has been this way for years.
The only thing is I don't get that 'engine maintenance' light on the dash every 12,000 miles or so.

If you put a dead battery into it, that old battery goes and takes a crap all over itself you have a another mess to clean up! Throw out the battery and save the trouble.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
that works too

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info guys. now that i know for sure what it is, it's definitley gettin the boot. this truck has no use for an engine maint. light or it's control box, if you catch my drift ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.