Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to jacj up the front to see if it is posi or LS (limited slip)
so if I turn one tire the other will go eathe in the same or oposite direction
which is LS and which posi

Floyd ???

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
To clarify, both posi and LS refer to the same thing. It would be between either an open diff or one with LS/posi diff.
Turning in the same direction = LS/posi, different directions = open.
Think about what's happening inside the diff, to understand why this test works:
With a limited slip diff, the cones/clutches or whatever that are designed to transmit some power between both tires is getting absolutely no resistence to do just that. So it's very easy to send power (turning one tire) to the other side, and make the other tire turn.
In an open diff, there is nothing but the spider gears indirectly connecting the two tires together. When one tire turns, the power goes throught those gears, and is transmitted easily, but in the OPPOSITE direction (of course, only during our little test procedure, otherwise the tires turn the same direction if on the ground)
BTW, a non-selective locker would behave just as the LS equipped diff in this test.\
Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Posi is short for GM's Posi-Traction named limited slip from the muscle car days.
I think Sure-Grip was mopar's term, and I'm spacing out the name used by Ford.
Basically marketing names.

Posi quickly became the commonly used lingo for all limited slips.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok Mike, very helpful....
How about while driving, is there major difference the way it feels, will LS feel strange?
thanks

Floyd

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Unless it's setup VERY tight and you are on VERY loose surface, no I don't think you'd feel a difference. Course, I run lockers now, and the only LS equipped vehicles I've driven extensively were military CUCCV's, so anyone with a different opinion?.......
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Shouldn't feel a limited slip when driving.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have changed the gear oil in both in front and rear over the past two days - major imrovent on ride specialy after the after I did the front one, a lot of sand in oil came out of the front. I 'm thinkin of changing the transfer case oil today - Do I have to remove the metal plate that covers it? - I'm expecting major impovement , dont know what will find inside transfer case.
Still have not figured out LS or Standard, but used Mobile 1 75/90 or something was 6.99 a quart.....
Transfer Case is motor oil right?
Thanks for all your help

Floyd

ps. When I first got this truch few months ago, my wife said it feels like tractor, but this is one
bad ass truck .
I'll post pix if figure how

1 - 7 of 7 Posts