Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Lowlands Dodge -> general progress

96K views 340 replies 59 participants last post by  cragdweller 
#1 ·
Since the original post (Dutch Dodge) got lost during the last forum crash, here's another -updated- one.
I'm still in the progress of restoring her, but first some details about her history.
From her birth in 1977 till her retirement in 1994, she served as an M880 under the U.S. flag in Germany. 1994 is the year that I bought her.
I've been improving her ever since:
-4" suspension lift
-bucket seats instead of couch
-stainless steel exhaust (custom, dual)
-headers
-stainless steel fuel tank (custom, 120 litres)

But then, after enjoying to ride this wonderful truck for five years, I made the decision to overhaul her completely. The other choice was to keep on using her and watch her slowly rotting away. As this was no real option to me, I decided to start an overhaul.

Luckily, I found a great place to do this overhaul in a barn nearby my home.
The chassis has now been blasted and painted (3 layers of primer and 6 layers of chassis coating), so I can start rebuilding her.
And I have made several improvements:
-suspension lift back to 2" above original
-custom 3 point cab suspension instead of 4 point (to improve chassis flex)
-2.5" body lift as result to 3 point cab suspension
-new rear spring hanger (4" higher)
-shackle inversion on rear spring (4" higher)
-due to rear suspension, no blocks necessary
-custom step side bed
-custom rear disc brake conversion (same callipers and discs as on front axle)
-new front cross member (custom)
-new rear cross member (custom)
-transfer case converted from one stick to two sticks
-airco compressor converted to provide onboard air
-small improvements on engine (bigger intake and carb)

Some minor changes on the sheet work:
-cut-back front fender for 35" tires
-mix from '76 and '77 fronts ('77 grill, driving lights instead of turn signals, '76 turn signals below grill)
-custom "scoop" on hood

But, pictures tell more....

Greetings from the Netherlands.

See less See more
#29 ·
Awesome M880! I can't wait to see her when finished... I'm not sure about the stepside bed though... Keep us updated!!! You do some excellent fab work and the cab pivot mount is just brilliant! Going to have any cushion or springs under it to control pitch and roll during regular driving, or you think it will be ok where it is?
One day I will rebuild my M880 from the ground up and would like to use a couple of your ideas if you do not mind.
Thanks,
Eric :)

#30 ·
Simply AWESOME!!!!!!!!! You have some very innovative ideas in that truck already, I can't wait to see how it comes out in the end.

#31 ·
I'm not sure about the stepside bed though...
Stepside bed is exit....... A friend came up with a custom built set (two!) of beds with quick change system for cheap. So now I have a flatbed with removable sides and rear and a basic flat frame which was used as base for a camper by the previous owner.
Pictures will follow.....

Going to have any cushion or springs under it to control pitch and roll during regular driving, or you think it will be ok where it is?
Think it's o.k., but it's very easy to place springs or so.

One day I will rebuild my M880 from the ground up and would like to use a couple of your ideas if you do not mind.
That's the reason for posting them.

#32 ·
#33 ·
Lot's of work for she's back on the road but once she done.. keep up the good work. You know somebody ho passed yearly inspection with an RCC hanger lift front and back? I lifted the truck using a hanger lift but don't know if its legal. I guess it would they are 3 times as strong as the original hangers.

#34 ·
You know somebody ho passed yearly inspection with an RCC hanger lift front and back? I lifted the truck using a hanger lift but don't know if its legal.
Don't know 100%, but I asked the local garage guys (who also perform the anual inspection) and they said "no problem, as long as it looks strong enough and is strong enough with a professional look".

#35 ·
Cabin is finished (metalwork, anyway)!!!!
First picture is of the customized floor. Left and right side were lowered to make room for the seat suspensions; centersection was lifted to make more room for the lifted transmission and transfercase.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Gerhartv/cabine/naamloos2.jpg
Second picture is of the (almost) finished cab. Floor is completely welded and re-inforced for the seats and suspensions. Also the beams under the floor had to be change in order to follow the floor.
Steering column mount also hat to be removed to replace some sheetmetal behind.
Roof of the cabin was also insulated for noise reduction.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Gerhartv/cabine/naamloos3.jpg
Last picture is of the doors. These were not too bad; the lower outer shell was rusted for about one inch, but 6" were removed for better acces for complete shotblasting. Innersides were also rusted for about one inch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Gerhartv/cabine/naamloos.jpg
Next will be the fenders, front and hood. After this, final paintwork will be applied.

#36 ·
Nice job on the doors and cab, I (well my brother) did one of my doors to will be posting the pics of that on my cardomain site. The other door was replaced by the previous owner I'm just jealous of your rust free metal.

#38 ·
trucks looking good can't wait to see your suspension ideas and the restof the truck. i just did a 3/4 elliptical rear suspension on my M880 you can check it out if your interested in the fab board.

Your M880 is looking very clean!! Good job

#39 ·
ProjectM880 said:
i just did a 3/4 elliptical rear suspension on my M880 you can check it out if your interested in the fab board.
Thanks, projectM880.
Allready have been following your work closely. Very interesting!!!! Learned a lot from your project.
I think you have a very capable truck when all is finished.

#40 ·
Finished the rear axle today by fitting the brakelines.
Had some time left, so I just went on and bolted it to the springs.
So this is the final set-up with shackle flip, longer shackles, new front hanger and U-bolt flip.
All blocks are gone and the result is a total lift of 2" over stock.

Attachments

#46 ·
thats some impressive work your doing there. keep us posted. i love m880.

#47 ·
VERY nice!!!