Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, I know about the epic lowering thread...and the more I read it, the more confused I get.

I would also like to lower my 1980 D150 2" in the front and 4" in the rear or maybe 3"/5".  I'm thinking the Mid America Customs kit (4"/6") would lower my truck too much for my tastes.  I like at least a little gap between the tire and fender.  I also don't know if I want to spend nearly $1000 to lower my truck.

For the rear, I've seen where people are using 2" lowering shackles made for other trucks.  Does anybody make a 2" front leaf spring hanger for a D150?  A 2" hanger and 2"-3" shackle would be ideal.  Would a shackle/hanger kit made for a 1994-2001 Ram 1500 (or Chevy/Ford) work?  I measured the factory shackle and the one in my 1998 Ram.  The 1998 shackle is 1" longer than the 1980 shackle.  So, maybe the Ram kit would lower my truck 4"-5".

For the front, I've read about the 1 ton lower control arms, the 1st gen. Dakota spindles, 1994-2001 Ram lowering springs, and cut springs.  The 1 ton lca's sound the easiest.  With those, which springs would lower the truck 2"-3"?  I'm just plain confused about the Dakota spindles.  It sounds like there are a few custom tricks and maybe steering issues when you are done.  From what I've read, the 1994-2001 Ram lowering springs lower a D150 1" less than they would lower the Ram.  I'm just not too keen on cutting springs.

What shocks would I use?  I've read about several choices, but haven't really figured out what works best.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thought.  Will front leaf spring hangers made for a 1st generation Dakota work?

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
I almost made the same comment, lol.  I think he is talking about the front spring hanger on the rear springs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
340SHORTY said:
D series trucks dont use leaf springs on the front
Boy, this forum is a tough crowd.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Nah, everyone has just been on edge for the past week or so for some reason.  Not sure what the deal is but it's not a biggie.  Carry on.  ;D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Elwenil said:
Nah, everyone has just been on edge for the past week or so for some reason. Not sure what the deal is but it's not a biggie. Carry on. ;D
I've noticed that too, it's like the technicality police have been sent out on extra patrols ;)

Other than that I don't have anything constructive to ad to your thread. Good luck on getting the info you're looking for and if you drop it I hope you post pics!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
the rear spring "FRONT" hanger can be flipped and gain around 1.5 to 2" extra  when used with the lowering shackles. 

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flipping the front leaf spring hanger would require new holes in the frame I assume.  Is it ok to drill holes in the frame like that?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a pair of 2" drop shackles, I could ship them to you. PM me for more info
2" shackles + maybe taking a leaf or two out in the rear
for the front, http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.aspx?partfamilyid=3340&partid=19444
those will work

That should get you pretty low, but still have a descent ride. Make sure to either get new shorter bump stops or take them completely out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
i've never tried lowering a dodge, but on my '70 chevy the guy that had it before me cut down the front coils and that made for a horrible ride and even worse cornering.  the best thing i ever did to it was put drop spindles and stock height springs back in it. 
      just my two cents...if at all possible i wouldnt cut those springs.  you should post pics of it when you get it done tho. i'd be interested to see what it looks like.  what size rims are you thinking of putting on it?    tuck some of those 20's that came on the newer rams? ;D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not going to cut the springs.  I am going to look for some 3/4 ton van lower control arms for the front and do the shackle/hanger flip for the rear.  As for wheels, I'm going to go with a set of 17"x8" American Racing Ansen Sprints (slot mags).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally lowered the truck. I have a few little things to do and I'll be done.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looks great

688 Posts
look a lot better than the stock set up.  good work

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a before and after picture.

I just finished welding the perches onto the axle and checking all the bolts. Now, I gotta fix the old Dodge lean. The right front wheel has about 1/2" more gap than the left side. I am going to take the spring out and cut it I guess. It will drive me crazy if I don't fix it.

688 Posts
Look like it's reddy to go cruise or maybe hit the strip.  What kind of drivetrain are you running?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Goobtech Racing said:
Look like it's reddy to go cruise or maybe hit the strip. What kind of drivetrain are you running?
Weak 1978 smog 440 and a 727. If I can sell a car and some other stuff, I will build a new big block for it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts