Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, tried this way back when I first got here. Trying it again. I need a part number for the lower radiator hose for a 76 RC 440. Still have not found one that fits.

Thanks for info.

G

·
I can't remember if I replied the first time you asked this or not. So, try this number, L-017. Thats what the Autozone number should be anyway.

Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give it a shot and let you know if it works. Thanks.

wycowboy said:
I can't remember if I replied the first time you asked this or not. So, try this number, L-017. Thats what the Autozone number should be anyway.

Chris

·
7,995 Posts
Probably never will find one in the aftermarket hoses. All the ones I tried were wrong, they would rub on the stabilizer bar. The original hose is angled at about 45 degrees and the replacements that I have had are at a 90 degree angle. Try taking a look at a hose for a 1977 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham with a 440 and see if that might work. May need to be trimmed some?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to look at the above part numbers as well as what you suggested, before the weekend.

I just think it is mind boggling that they would not make a lower hose anymore.

Mac

Chump said:
Probably never will find one in the aftermarket hoses. All the ones I tried were wrong, they would rub on the stabilizer bar. The original hose is angled at about 45 degrees and the replacements that I have had are at a 90 degree angle. Try taking a look at a hose for a 1977 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham with a 440 and see if that might work. May need to be trimmed some?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wyocowboy: the local Autozone said that part number was not valid.

Chump: I think I found one that will fit at NAPA: NBH 7695 but I have to take it home and eyeball it to make sure.

The one for the Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 1977 did not look like it at all.

Shouldn't it have a spring in it?

Mac

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have those other part numbers you tried, could you give them to me?

I was wrong about the one that I found at NAPA, it was not the right one.

Back to the drawing board.

Mac

Chump said:

G

·
Sorry about that Mac. The Kelly Springfield number is no longer valid, I should have tried to order it instead of just writing it down. The Goodyear number is 60858 but the price on it is $17.99, kinda expensive. Yes, I did try to order it and it IS valid :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problemo, but now I am confused.

The Goodyear number is what I give to what parts house? Sorry for my confusion.

Mac

wycowboy said:
Sorry about that Mac. The Kelly Springfield number is no longer valid, I should have tried to order it instead of just writing it down. The Goodyear number is 60858 but the price on it is $17.99, kinda expensive. Yes, I did try to order it and it IS valid :)

Chris

·
7,995 Posts
Mac, you might check into this one and see if it fits? This looks more like the one that's in the truck originally.:)
NAPA...NBH7711
Gates....20974
Attributes: Hose - Radiator Upper
I.D.(s): 1.75'' x 1.75'' x 1.75''
Length: 13.8'' Too short/long?
Equipped with Steel Coil: Yes

OR
NAPA...NBH745
Gates...20046
Attributes: Hose - Radiator Lower
I.D.(s): 1.75'' x 1.75'' x 1.75''
Length: 18.0'' May need to be cut?
Equipped with Steel Coil: Yes

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chump: I will check them out. I am determined to get this squared away. Thanks

:)

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it comes with a spring, leave it in. If id doesn't, don't worry about the spring. Most of the aftermarket radiator hoses I have bought over the years were cut to length, and even then many of them did not fit too great.
Was your engine swapped in or original? I had a tough time finding a hose for my '66 Charger with a '70 440. I think I eventually got a hose for a '68 Charger with a 383 after the guy at the local independent parts shop let me go in the back and look at the hoses and see which one I thought might work.
Years ago I tried to buy a radiator for my '72 Charger Rallye, which had the original 440. Every parts store INSISTED that my car should have a 26" wide radiator, but mine obviously came with a 22" unit (it was sold in Colorado and had no A/C). I finally gave up and got the original radiator rebuilt.
If it isn't typical, then the large chain parts stores are not much help.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a factory 440 original, however, it was converted to 2wd in California before I bought it so the configuration might be different than stock. It has one in there now but it is bulging and ready to pop.

Mac

Moparman440 said:
Was your engine swapped in or original?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chump, definitely not the NBH 745. They were out of the NBH 7711.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a sketch I made of the hose that I have in there right now. This is the one I want to replace. I'm no draftsman so please bear with me. Hope this helps to ID the correct part number.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You wouldn't happen to have a part number and shop name where you got it would you?

???

KThaxton said:
Based on shape alone, that looks very simular to the one on my 360.

·
29,447 Posts
Not right now, I am at work but I have the info at home. You could just go to any part store and ask for a hose for a mid 80's (mines an 86) RC and check it out. I've never had a problem finding these (except if you want the spring, then its difficult!), so they should be able to find one for you to look at.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will do and will let you all know. Thanks.

Mac

KThaxton said:
Not right now, I am at work but I have the info at home. You could just go to any part store and ask for a hose for a mid 80's (mines an 86) RC and check it out. I've never had a problem finding these (except if you want the spring, then its difficult!), so they should be able to find one for you to look at.

·
7,995 Posts
The original looking hose hasnt been available in the aftermarket since 1979 under the current part number that is shown in all the auto parts stores. I know, we had 2 brand new Dodges with 440's that we ordered new. I finally went to the dealer to buy the hose, it's long since been discontinued. Mac, pull out your old hose and put a cheap flex hose in til you find something you like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts