Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain what it does, and the advanteges of having it a little tighter, or a little looser?
also, is there any way to check the adjustment before I put the pan back on and add the fluid?
I adjusted my bands this weekend, along with a filter and fluid change, and I was hoping that my transmission would have a better 'grab' at takeoff, but that wasn't the case.

any input is appreciated....thanks

andy

·
Registered
71 Posts
all it really does is grab and stop your whatchamacallit so the outer part stops rotating making the rotating force go through the planetrys thus reducing the gear ratio..does that make sense? you don't want it to tight or loose the closer to spec the better, a 727 overlaps gears when shifting and it could be destructive if the band grabbed to soon, its not to bad in the low gears but the 2nd to drive shift overlaps bad and that band is important. your gonna need a book with the specs or someone who knows i don't have my manual here at work and an inchpound torque wrench, its easy to set them and not really an exact science. i like to snug them up really good and back them off before i set them just to make sure there is nothing binding before i torque them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. is it possible for me to drain the fluid that I just replaced, go in there and redo the bands, then reuse the fluid? or do I just need to cough up another 20 bucks for tranny fluid?

BTW, thanks for the info, I didn't really understand exactly, but I know that its not what I thought it was. but hey, I'm learning....

·
Registered
71 Posts
aslong as its caught in a clean container you can re-use it

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Personally, I would just dump it and add new fluid, consider it a partial flush. Band adjustment specs are as follows:

Back off jam nut approximately 5 turns (enough so it doesn't impede adjustment of band). Tighten band to 72 in-pounds (5 ft-pounds) Then back it off 2 1/2 turns for kickdown band (front), 2 turns for low-reverse (rear) band. Tighten jam nut.

You will need a 4 or 8 point socket to torque the band. It's either 5/16 or 3/8, I can't remember which. A 12 point might work, I've never used one on it. Let us know if you need more help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, thats pretty much what I did, except that I only got to about 30 in/lbs before my cheap a$$ socket stripped out. well, looks like I'll be doin it again next weekend....

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
MudFlap said:
Tighten band to 72 in-pounds (5 ft-pounds)
That's 6 ft-lbs! ;) We don't want that band slipping!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
MudFlap said:
Tighten band to 72 in-pounds (5 ft-pounds)
That's 6 ft-lbs! ;) We don't want that band slipping!
I stand corrected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts