Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol, Apprearantly my new hotrod Daytona found out I have a wallet. The engine is a 2.2 turbo II. I have very low oil pressure, and a pretty decent knock once it warms up. Is this definately a bottom end problem, or can it possibly be the oil pump? As for my next question, how do I find out which?
I've had the car for about 3 days, so it's a good thing I have a sense of humour ;D :-X

Dan

·
Registered
619 Posts
do an oil change and new filter. you might want to try a different viscosity oil to get rid of the knock. it could also be because the oil is too thin. if the knock persits you can run some really thin oil or atf through the engine and it should clean it out.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, found out whats wrong. After I drove down my street and SEIZED THE #%@$*& MOTOR, I finally decided to pull the oil filter off. I could clearly smell fuel in the filter, so I guess 78macho was partially right. The oil was definately thin.
So, now I have a car I've owned for 3 days, sitting in my driveway, waiting for an engine. Not to mention I have an open carport, and winter is damn near here :\'(
Oh well, what doesn't kill you..................

Dan

G

·
Smelled fuel in the oil? Maybe running a wee bit on the rich side? Just remember to replace those O2 and MAP sensors (and reset the computer afterwards) or you'll repeat the problem and kill the new engine the same way.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what I was worrying about. So is it just the MAP and O2 sensors I have to worry about, or is there something else I should be looking at as well?

Dan

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
are you going to rebuild or replace the motor???? if you rebuild build the snot outta it.... bigger turbo, intercooler and higher rate injectors. definatley map and O2 sensors and check the head as well if you are going to use the old one during a rebuild.... also run a high pressure pump when you rebuild... just a few suggestions....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with it yet. Before I make any decisions, I'm going to yank the engine, take it to the shop I work at, and tear it down on the weekend. If the damage isn't too severe, I'll see what I can do. If it's destroyed, I dunno........
I just really don't want to break the bank on this thing. The original purpose of this car was just to be a fun little ride that would save me money on fuel as opposed to running the Ramcharger back and fourth to work. I never had the intent to sink loads of money into it to make it a presence at the track. If I can get it running up to somewhat original spec, it'll be good enough for me.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts