Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Ramcharger with a 360 TBI. It has just over 105k miles on it and sat for three years prior to me purchasing it in May. I did a full tune-up, oil change, and replaced the faulty idle speed control motor. The thing runs great now, but the oil pressure reads a little low (about one-third). Assuming the the sending unit is accurate, is this too low? I'm running fully synthectic 10w-30. Thanks, Brendan.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This doesn't sound low but you will never know for sure until you plumb in a mechanical gauge to confirm.  My stock gauge with a high pressure pump runs at about 2/3 of the gauge's scale at approx 65 psi as confirmed by a mechanical gauge under the hood. 

Synthetic oil will also lower oil pressure a little over dinosaur oil due to its relative slipperyness and reduced viscosity.

·
Registered
712 Posts
First thing I would do if I suspected low oil pressure would be to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The OEM gauge is not a very good diagnostic tool. You could install it temporarily or install a tee and keep both. My old truck had a full set of mechanical guages and a tach installed under the hood just for a diagnostic reason (and I had a spare set laying around). I think Dodge uses a real sender and gauge although it has no numbers on it for pressure, Ford on the other hand has a gauge but the sender is a fixed reading. all it shows is you have oil pressure and is no better than an idiot light.

·
Registered
962 Posts
what is a normal oil pressure anyways? my truck run s at 65 when i first start it and at operating temps it runs 40 psi at 2000rpm and idle it runs about 18-20psi. im guessing this is normal cuz thats what all the 318/ 360's ive seen run at?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I believe 35- 40psi at 2k RPM warm is exactly what the fsm says is normal for a 318.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts