Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I bought my '89 RC 4x4 back in Jan, below freezing temps.  She had 157k miles.  She's been running perfectly since.

Now that it's warmer, at 160k miles the Low Oil Pressure light comes on every once in a while, at the end of a drive when I'm pulling in to my parking spot, or sometimes when I come to a red light.  The light goes off when the car is in motion.  No knocking.

My truck probably needs about 1/4 of a quart of oil a month.  I'm using 10-30 conventional oil, Wix filter, no overheating.

After reading, looks like my options are 1)clean/replace sender, 2)get mechanical oil pressure guage, 3)higher weight oil, 4)add oil additive.

Is this the beginning of the end of my motor?  How many miles do I have left!?  thx  :(

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Don't forget you can also clean your pickup tube.

How many miles do you have left? My guess is, between 75-125,000 miles.

Now if you really think about it, I am full of crap because there is no way I have done any looking into your engine. ;)

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
How many miles do you have left? My guess is, between 75-125,000 miles.

Now if you really think about it, I am full of crap because there is no way I have done any looking into your engine. ;)
LOL............ ;D

get a mechanical gauge first, then if it's still reading low.

Then pull the pan, clean out the pick up tube and replace the pump, that should cost you in the $50 range, and if it doesn't help you have a new pump for when you rebuild it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Try some 15w-40 or 20w-50 for warm weather - and as already said hook up mechanical gauge and actually see what pressure is at idle and running speed - idle pressure can be real low and engine go this way for long time but do need pressure at higher rpms.  Also, if poor main. before you bought, frequent oil/filter changes may clean up pump screen some.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Get a mechanical gauge on it and see if it is actually reading low or not.  Sounds like you may have a crapped out sender that became more sensitive to "thinner" oil.

If the pressure is low, then it's time to drop the pan and take a peak.  Try to avoid additives until you know what you are dealing with.  They have their place, and I use them myself, but they can mask symptoms or make a blocked pump screen worse...that makes diagnosis and repair more difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts