Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, moving along further in my build up of my 1993 dodge ramcharger canyon sport i have found out a tranny from an 87 will not work, and from lookin i cannot find an A518 auto overdrive tranny that will work for my truck that is under $1,000 so i stumble into a larger salvage yard today that i have never been to and he says yeah i got one and i say can i look at it and he says sure so i look at it and sure enough its a 1993, dodge ram 250 4wd with a 5-speed stick in it. but does it have the crank sensor? it should being a 1993 with fuel injection right? and if it does how much work is going to go into this swap. i know mounting the tranny will be the easiest part but what all pieces am i going to need and has anybody ever done an auto to manual swap. i know i will need like the pedal and the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder and the pressure plates and clutch itself and all that stuff but i would like a list of everything i need because he said $500 for everything u want off of it plus the tranny. so could sum one tell me 1.) if this swap will work 2.) what all parts im going to need 3.)can some one with this kind of expierence doing an auto to manual swap please contact me. if any one needs any other info to tell if this swap will work jsut reply to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Little thing called the crankshaft position sensor!! i hate the damn thing so im jsut going to get a tranny from a 93 which will cost bout a grand for the auto or i can get this manual plus wut ever else i want to strip off of a complete 1993 dodge ram 250 for $500. ;D

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Did you miss the discussion of just grinding a notch in the bell housing to clear the CPS, and using the the 93 flexplate so you have the trigger notches for the CPS to read ?

Make a cardboard or thin sheet metal template of the '93 bellhousing notch, then mark and carve it into the 87. The big Dremel tool should do just fine, thus it is an excuse to by another tool... Something we all crave, more tools !

OR, changing to a manual is a lot less work on those vehicles with hydraulic clutches, because there is far less in the way of linkages to install. $500 bucks IS CHEAP for the tranny, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch pressure plate and disk, pedal and hydraulic assembly... I think the bracket to bolt on the clutch pedal is already under your dash, but carefully compare yours and the donor to be certain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smokey said:
Did you miss the discussion of just grinding a notch in the bell housing to clear the CPS, and using the the 93 flexplate so you have the trigger notches for the CPS to read ?

Make a cardboard or thin sheet metal template of the '93 bellhousing notch, then mark and carve it into the 87. The big Dremel tool should do just fine, thus it is an excuse to by another tool... Something we all crave, more tools !

OR, changing to a manual is a lot less work on those vehicles with hydraulic clutches, because there is far less in the way of linkages to install. $500 bucks IS CHEAP for the tranny, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch pressure plate and disk, pedal and hydraulic assembly... I think the bracket to bolt on the clutch pedal is already under your dash, but carefully compare yours and the donor to be certain.
No, i didnt miss the discussion but i have two choices i can use a 17 year old 727 and modify it or i can use this manual which would be badass cuz how many 93 canyon sport le edition ramcharger 4wd have u seen with a 5 spd. manual?? not many oh and it is a 5 spd. not a 4spd with overdrive. u say it is cheap for all this??? tranny, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch pressure plate and disk, pedal and hydraulic assembly... well ur gunna love the fact that that isnt all i get he said STRIP THE TRUCK OF EVERYTHING I WANT. so like i say i can use the 17 year old auot 727 or the 11 year old 5-spd. plus anything else i want off of the truck. and it is a 1993 dodge ram 250 so it has 3/4 ton axles hmmmmm. so i basically get everything i want. as long as this tranny will work and the truck will run with the tranny no more god d*am sensors that will make it not work then i will put this tranny in. cuz i bet i will turn sum mopar lovers heads with a 5-spd. manual ramcharger canyon sport.

G

·
Sure the tranny will work, as long as it has the crank sensor, and since it's a '93, it's gonna have it. Regarding the '87 tranny, to be more specific, it will work, but the engine won't due to the crank sensor issue which is easily handled as already mentioned. Sounds like you got a great deal on the parts truck, and, given time and patience, you'll have a unique setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You may need the computer from the 2500 as well.. since you're going to 5 spd from AT; otherwise.. it may throw soem codes.. If someone knows for sure.. please chime in.
Aaron

G

·
A quick glance at the MP Performance catalog show the same performance PCM for all types that year. Starting in 1994, the manuals have a different PCM.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
That, to me appears to be one hell of a fine deal on the parts ! Good Luck !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts