Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just went on a short vacation up in the Ozark Mountains in Eureka Springs, AR. While we were there, I used 2nd gear quite a bit going up and down the hills and around the sharp curves. Anyway, last night we were headed back to the cabin and everything was fine. Parked the pickup and went inside. This morning I came out and got the truck prepped (check all fluids, tire pressure, etc) for the ride home. We pulled out and I had no 2nd gear. She went right to 3rd. On occasion, it'd try to downshift, but I'd hafta let outta the throttle to get it to stay in 3rd. So I drove to the only Tranny shop there in town and he said for $150 he'd adjust the band for me, but didn't know if that'd fix it, and I'd hafta wait 'till he got the tranny back in the Shitolet he was workin on. I figured for $150 I'd just drive it home and not wait all day for him to guess at what he was doing. So I drove it and made it home. It's a 350 mile drive.

This tranny only has about 10,000 miles or so on it, so it shouldn't be worn out yet. I didn't abuse it, so I don't know what the hell to make of this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I doubt that adjusting the bands would do anything...The only thing that I can think of is that there is a valve stuck in the valve body.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No other ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing happened to me lost 2nd gear and turned out that as i drove with no second gear it wore the hub that holds the low/reverse band in and had to replace we thing what happend was the band wasn't adjusted right and wore fast causing it to wear in to the hub. thats all i can tell ya

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Well, really when you loose a gear like that, it is really only one of two things, the actual gear(clutches) are gone, or the 1-2 shift valve is stuck. Do you have your kickdown linkage adjusted right? If that isn't adjusted properly you can kill your trans really quickly?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I check to see if the 1-2 shift valve is stuck? I am really hoping the 2nd gear clutches aren't gone. It doesn''t really have that many miles on it, and it didn't act like it was wearing. It worked, then quit. I drove it to the cabin in 2nd. When I got there I shut it off. Next day, no 2nd gear.

G

·
Sounds like the valve body has a stuck valve. The 1-2 shift valve, mabe a broken spring. Could be a clogged orifice in the 1-2 shift control bore. You used 2nd a lot. Bound to have shed a little clutch dust then. It needs at least a good cleaning, probably some teardown/inspection.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of tearing that far into an automatic, so I guess I'll be calling around to a coupla tranny shops and see how bad I'll get raped

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
ILRAMCHARGER said:
Same thing happened to me lost 2nd gear and turned out that as i drove with no second gear it wore the hub that holds the low/reverse band in and had to replace we thing what happend was the band wasn't adjusted right and wore fast causing it to wear in to the hub. thats all i can tell ya
My brothers 97 B2500 van did the exact same thing. Lost second gear. The lining on the band fell apart. I adjusted the band and got second gear back but the damage was done. It had trouble with 3rd gear then and it tore the drum and hub up really good. It was just a 32RH but that cost nearly $1000 to rebuild as a carry in. Alot of parts were messed up inside.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I just thought I'd let y'all know what was wrong. The little band adjuster strut was broken. Pulled the valve body down and found it. Went to a tranny parts place and bought a new one for $2.13. So, I put it all back together and discovered that I had split the rear cooling line. No biggie, just bought some new tubing and bent it and now my truck is good as new.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Good to hear!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's usually not that way. Usually SHOULD be a cheap fix, but ends up costing me $200 bucks time I see everything else that oughtta be done. Only extras on this were tranny filter and fluid, and I hadda make a new cooler line for the return, 'cause I managed to split it moving it outta the way when I was tryin to get the Neutral switch out. All said and done, $20.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts