Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'89 Ram 250 pickup. My steering is loose. I think the steering coupler is shot. I'm not sure if that's the right name for this part - it is visible in the left front wheel well, located on the end of the steering shaft. It has a lot of play. Is this an easy fix? How much will parts cost?

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can put another in but it will go to crap soon. The best fix is to get a whole new shaft from Borgeson. I don't remember exactly how much. A little pricey but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The Borgeson shaft is around $250 dollars as I recall. Make sure your steering box is bolted on tight to your frame rail. The rag joint is cheap. I'd replace that before looking at a Borgeson shaft. If the rag joint does not fix the problem, then most likely the slip joint is shot.

Mac

·
29,446 Posts
The Borgeson can be had from summit for $189.00.
As mention, you can get a rebuid kit from the dealer for about $7.00, and there is a "how to" on this in our How To section (duh), but it's still a poor design.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I paid around $210 for a double u-joint shaft from Borgeson. It is simple to install and makes a HUGE difference. Too bad it's so pricey, though.

Fix the coupler so you're safe and then start saving for a Borgeson.

Ted

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Check out flaming river products. You can get a steering u joint like the borgeson for about $75. www.flamingriver.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that's quite the quick and informative response to my question. Unfortunately, I don't understand some terms such as "steering box", "rag joint", "slip joint". KThaxton, I didn't find the "how to" post you mentioned...I did find the TSB - is that what you had in mind? If so, I need a diagram to help me understand what's what. Too bad my Chilton doesn't seem to cover this topic at all. Cooper30, I think I'll take your advice (Fix the coupler so you're safe and then start saving for a Borgeson...). Is it an easy fix?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
joesera said:
KThaxton, I didn't find the "how to" post you mentioned...I did find the TSB - is that what you had in mind? If so, I need a diagram to help me understand what's what.
First off, welcome the the site! Spend some time reading that Chilton's for defenitions/descriptions of the various parts mentioned. They are in there.
Next, here's the link to the aforementioned how-to:
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=&action=howtoshow;id=16

The how-to section is found at the top of the page, just below the big RAMCHARGER CENTRAL.COM banner, and above the box for your screen name.
Home....Forum.....Chapters.......etc....etc....
Happy wrenching,
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The how-to link is really helpful. At least now I know what to call the steering coupler, and it looks like a pretty cheap, easy fix. My truck is also stock, so I think I'll try out the $5 fix before the $200 fix.

So far this has been a very helpful forum, thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I picked up a steering coupler rebuild kit at the dealer for $9.70 (prices for little things seem to run about 100% higher here in Alaska). I tried to substitute my vice as a press to remove the pin from the shaft, and broke my vice. Lesson learned - if I can't turn the vice handle any further with my bare hands, extending the handle with a pipe to turn it further is not a good idea. Ended up using a hammer and it came out pretty easily. Second problem was getting the housing cover to stay on - what a poor design! Hint - don't tap too hard on those tabs with a cold chisel or you'll break them off! I ended up reusing the original cover - I think it will stay. Anyway, the steering feels a lot safer for now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey joe, glad to hear you got it fixed. This is a great site & there is a lot of very good information here - happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I made my own steering shaft-there is also a how to on that-you can use. I got a couple u joints from a couple chrysler cars and welded and pinned in a shaft-I think I spent 10 bucks total on it and it looks good and should work good.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I am probably gonna be selling a kit in the near future that either lets you replace the pot joint as it's called with a u-joint (bigger than borgeson or flaming river and grease-able--their's aren't), or both the pot joint and rag joint with u-joints using your shaft, or both joints using a new shaft. I have to finalize the costs and such, but it will be cheaper than borgeson, and work just as well, but will be stronger.

I can get the parts now, but would have to price it on a case by case basis, and depending on how you want to go, I may need some measurements from your truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts