Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for the motor builders. Big block motor, 6.73 gears, 53" RII tires ( Rice & Cane), granny 4 speed, dual independant transfeer case. The motor is new. Ok the problem we are having is in deep mud or a mud bog we seem to lose horse power. The motor bogs down. Thinking of adding a 125 HP NOS system. We just purchased a MSD 6AL box. We have bent pushrods twice now. The motor has about 400 450 hp now with forged pistons. I believe everything is mostly stock. I'm not all that much for NOS. Got to figure out why the power loss and how to fix it. Any suggestions help advice. This is on a 454 Chevy motor. I know RCC is Dodge, but you guys are the best and I'm trying to help a good friend. Thanks.........Skip

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
are you loosing power at high RPM's? mabey floating valves or binding the valve springs
(I'm not a motor builder, just throwing out a guess)

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Hmm....graany 4spd will kill alot of rpm's as well as u will lose soem power with a slightly burnt clutch . The clutch new ?

BrianT

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not me but a very close friend. I'm afrade he's getting bad advice from some drag racers. He's bent a couple stock pushrods a couple times now. I'm sure he's floated some valves. The problem is he loses power in a deep hole or mud bog or pulling someone through some thick/deep mud. He was told to just throw a bottle on it and hit the juice when you need more hp. Got to be a better way for a mud truck than being a bottle baby when times get rough

·
Registered
368 Posts
heavier valve springs, and roller rockers may fix the problem and maybe some brodix or meriln heads would do a world of difference

G

·
His first problem is listening to drag racers. Drag racing and mud bogging are not the same. He needs stronger top end, should be easy to do since its a chebbie motor and get some higher gears in the diffs. Sounds like he may not have enough tire speed when hitting the deep stuff and that is bogging him down. Get some taller gears, say 4.88's or even some 4.11's and he may see an improvement.

Chris

*fixed some errors in spelling, damn fat fingers ;D*

G

·
You don't mention what all he has in the motor. It could be he's running out of carb at the higher rpms or the cam is laying down at the higher revs. Could also be exhaust size and length. Could be the ignition system can't handle the higher speeds. The racers are right, if you want some cheap power, go with the bottle. But if you're bending pushrods now, just think what will happen with a 150 shot bottle.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
See what happens with heavy tires and wheels!!! get a heavy wheel and tire and then add heavy sticky mud and not enough hp and now you all know what happens.

Drag motors aren't different from mud runners.

Toy get exact specific specs on that motor, the bent push rods is a problem though, it could be a valve adjustment problem he is doing on his end also, could be bad springs, find out every little last detail about that motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.