Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a long block. 360 magnum. 10:1 compression ratio. I believe it may have flat top pistons to get that compression. Engine Quest heads. I need to pick a cam. It will be used as a daily driver, and pull a small ultra lite travel trailer. Not a hot rod, no off road. 86 RC 4x4 with 4 speed. What cams have you used or for those that know cams what would you suggest for my use. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
I'd run that question past Hughes Engines. They have all sorts of experience and stock available

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
read down to the bottom not just the first post

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
read down to the bottom not just the first post

I thought what I needed was a roller cam for the magnum. Isn't that one of the good things about the magnum engine? The 757 is a flat tappet cam. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know much about cams.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd run that question past Hughes Engines. They have all sorts of experience and stock available
Yes, I think I will call them and see what they say. I read on their web site that you must use their valve springs. The engine quest heads are built so I can't use their springs. But I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts
This is the cam I chose for my Magnum. It starts working at a 1000rpm and goes to 5000 which is good enough for me. I don't do hard core rock crawling just your typical off road stuff and moderate towing and hauling. I Haven't installed it yet because I've been waiting for my new valve springs and retainers to show up but they finally got here. I'll post pics of the install soon. A word of warning - Magnum's are a little tricky when it comes to cam swaps as they come from the factory with short valve springs - meaning you always have to buy new valve springs and retainers when doing a cam swap. Anything more aggressive than the factory cam specs and it will most definitely cause coil bind in the valve springs. My cam is small compared to a wild street cam and it binds the factory springs with a 212in/218exh @50, advertised 264 intake duration and 270 exhaust and intake/ exhaust lift @ 0.480 lift with stock rocker arms camshaft. The real dilemma is that almost nobody but Hughes Engines makes custom springs and retainers for Magnum engines and Hughes is behind on orders right now and having a hard time keeping stock.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Right, I forgot that you have Engine Quest heads. It's best to talk to them and ask what they recommend.

Reactions: BrianA

·
Registered
7,433 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the cam I chose for my Magnum. It starts working at a 1000rpm and goes to 5000 which is good enough for me. I don't do hard core rock crawling just your typical off road stuff and moderate towing and hauling. I Haven't installed it yet because I've been waiting for my new valve springs and retainers to show up but they finally got here. I'll post pics of the install soon. A word of warning - Magnum's are a little tricky when it comes to cam swaps as they come from the factory with short valve springs - meaning you always have to buy new valve springs and retainers when doing a cam swap. Anything more aggressive than the factory cam specs and it will most definitely cause coil bind in the valve springs. My cam is small compared to a wild street cam and it binds the factory springs with a 212in/218exh @50, advertised 264 intake duration and 270 exhaust and intake/ exhaust @ 0.480 lift with stock rocker arms camshaft. The real dilemma is that almost nobody but Hughes Engines makes custom springs and retainers for Magnum engines and Hughes is behind on orders right now and having a hard time keeping stock.

Always learning stuff from you guys. I saw your cam online and it seemed to meet my use. Daily driver and sometimes pull a trailer. But now I have to find out about the engine quest heads. Maybe they are waiting for springs. Did you get your springs from hughes engines? Might call them tomorrow. I'm running a carb and wondering how that might effect tuning. Thanks for the info on the springs.

·
Registered
29,341 Posts
sorry about that l "missed" the magnum part and yes l,d ask EQ about a cam / there is nothing wrong with the power a STOCK cam makes either

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The stock cam delivers decent power I suppose but you can always have a little more!
Dress shirt Tie Collar Beard Facial hair

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Always learning stuff from you guys. I saw your cam online and it seemed to meet my use. Daily driver and sometimes pull a trailer. But now I have to find out about the engine quest heads. Maybe they are waiting for springs. Did you get your springs from hughes engines? Might call them tomorrow. I'm running a carb and wondering how that might effect tuning. Thanks for the info on the springs.
A cam starting at 800rpm would be more ideal for pulling and rock crawling but the extra 200rpm is not going to be a problem for what I use my truck for. Plus this cam gives you a bit of a noticeable idle over the mellow sounding gurgle you get from a stock cam. Hughes has some cams for Magnum's also, but I like the grind of this Comp Cam a bit better. Some guys around my parts keep trying to scare me about reliability issues from Comp Cams these days but I can't really find anything that confirms that online.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
It doesn't give much time to hear it but his is what that Comp Cam sounds like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you go the Hughes engines route, you really need to use their valve springs. Most of their grinds have more lift than most companies and you risk coil bind if you use other springs. That said they are my go to for parts for the roadrunner, they definitely know how to do Mopar.

Mark

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
If you go the Hughes engines route, you really need to use their valve springs. Most of their grinds have more lift than most companies and you risk coil bind if you use other springs. That said they are my go to for parts for the roadrunner, they definitely know how to do Mopar.

Mark
I mentioned that earlier. You also need their retainers along with their valve springs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts