Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully an easy one for you guys.

I'm looking for a picture of a big block (440 preferably) radiator in an RC that has air conditioning.

My current issue is this: I've got a non-A/C radiator with the inlet on the driver's side, outlet on the pass side. The hose that would be needed to get from thermostat housing, around York compressor, and into inlet is pretty friggin ridiculous. Am I to believe that A/C radiators had the inlet on the pass side? This seems like it would be a much easier hose to find or create. As it sits now, I'm out of ideas (minus piecing together 4 pieces of radiator hose, or finding one of those "universal" ones that's like 4' long).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Pictures to follow.

-Pat

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How could I possibly ignore the turbo, Leon. It's making me drool.

As far as your radiator goes, I'm not seeing any listing for Passenger-side inlet, Driver's side outlet. Even if I did, where did you find a w/p housing that has a driver's side outlet?

My york is a little more room-hogging than your sanden although that radiator hose would still fit my application.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The turbo does draw ones gaze does it not.. ;D

The water pump housing is stock to this engine being a '68, they were used through '72, the radiator is from a '72 440 Charger.

There does not appear to be a correct big block A/C radiator anymore, just the non-A/C ones such as yours. :(

I would move the upper hose to the other side, a good radiator shop should be able to do it for you.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Something looks odd there, Pat.

I have the A/C Brackets for a York for a 440 (out of a motorhome) and the A/C Compressor is mounted in the same spot, only flipped toward the Driver's Side Valve Cover instead  (still had room to reach the Power Steering Pump too)

Now if only i could find those brackets, i'd get you some pics/suggest some mods to flip the compressor, it'd make routing the hose alot easier

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Leon {cool}

At this point, I might rip it all out and start over with those BPE brackets and a 7 series sanden-style compressor.

Can't see investing any more time into hopefully cobbling this thing together just for the benefit of having a York.

Might find another way to make the york useful at some point. But for now, I'm spending endless amounts of time trying to engineer a custom A/C system that I won't even need to use for another whole year, while in the meantime, there are so many other aspects to the truck that need attention.

·
Registered
658 Posts
thats my set up. that would expain the strange kink in the hose on the driver side. every thing that i have found for a radiator has beem small block. there does not seem to be a radiator avaliable for a the big block. sure move the out let.from the drivers to the pass, but is the radiator a little taller? some of the guys are using an alumn rad anthing specific? or are all of them custom to the size. that you figure to what you want? cross flow? is it possible? i know chevy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
edit what you have is not a big block radiator.

this radiator is from a 78 club 400.
at the lower end there is a kink that moves it away from the compresor,

·
Registered
29,389 Posts
why aint you use,in the chrysler "V" AC compressor

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dodgen: The radiator I've got was listed for a 440 of a 78 R/C without air.

I will more than likely pull the york and it's bracket off and opt to go with the sanden and the BPE brackets that Leon posted above.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'll let you in on a little secret, there are no big-block radiadors made anymore, just small-blocks which only work on non-A/C big-blocks, all big-blocks with or without A/C had the upper hose on the righthand side.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the heads up Leon {cool}

The radiator inlet isn't that big of a concern to me. It's not even a factor in the current issue. Even if the rad inlet was on the pass. side, I still wouldn't be able to get a hose to it with how shrouded the water neck is. I've got the stainless steel flexible hose, and it could be routed to the spot, but it can't bend hard enough to make it to the neck with the york bracket in the way.

I might consider trying to make those BPE brackets out of some flat plate. 100 bucks for them seems a little harsh if I've got the means to cut them myself. Am I correct in noticing a slight outward kick on the front bracket, Leon?

Also, are you using non-A/C alternator brackets? I know BPE sells A/C alt brackets that supposedly lower the alternator and are designed for A/C. I'm just not sure what the ultimate difference would be, other than the fact that the A/C brackets support the rear of the alternator so it can't be pulled forward.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The alternator brackets are for A/C on my 440, stock '68 Imperial Crown parts.

With the correct hose on the right side you could use the York you have, my old RV-2 was just as bad when it came to swapping the upper hose.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.