Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been throwing around ideas thinking about somethings that are gonna break on Big Mo when we go to Gray Rock in Oct. I'm gonna be driving Mo to the ORV park,wheeling all weekend etc etc. Mo is going to be my wheeler,play truck,sometimes daily driver,just about everything until we get my big truck built. I'm gonna see about getting these 36s from my buddy. Everybody is going to one tons,huge tires yada yada but Mo is going to be a believe road driven capable truck. I'm gonna stay half ton,put a NON-CAD 44 in the front with some pretty low gears. Then I come to the a$$end,the 9.25,ya great axle but its got C-clips,its got a limited slip..that doesn't work and I know that boy is gonna brake. Also I can only go to a 4.56 in the ratios to go in it.

What I'm wondering and have been looking for is a rearend that has or can get a 5x5.5 bolt pattern easily,disk brakes,lower gears and that'll hold up decent. Any ideas? I was thinking a Ford 9" but didn't know about widths etc Thought bout a Dana 60 5 lug..but I can't tell you the last time I seen one of em. Any ideas,suggestions on a rearend that could work under Mo? I'm gonna run the 9.25 until she blows or until I re-gear,sam with the CAD 44. Any ideas yall got would be of great help yall. Sorry for all the questions

Jimmy

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Run what you got, go easy on the skinney pedal in the rocks. You should be fine for a LONG while.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if your swapping axles, then go big. else run what you got. and besides, 4.56s is a plenty with 36s.

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The 9 1/4 is a pretty strong axle. Its axle shaft diameter is the same as the dana 60. I've never heard or seen anyone have problems with the c-clips. It was the GM axles that gave a bad name to c clip rearends. Having an open rearend or a worn out limited slip takes alot off stress off the axle. You shouldn't break it. Both me and my dads trucks have over 200K on our 1/2 tons and both have been offroaded hard sometimes and towed alot and never had rearend troubles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts