Dodge RamCharger Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sweet !!!! Has that thing got a Hemi??? :) Looks like that will add tons-o-flex. Are those made out of 3/8" plate, or are they thicker?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
May I make a suggestion? When you lengthen the shackles, you have to mindful that their longer length places alot of side to side stress due to the added leverage of longer shackles. You should stabilize it by adding a cross bar between the two sides of the shackle, so that it forms an "H"

Make sure that when you do add the cross bar, that it doesn't interfere with the swing of the shackle because it could hit the frame before the suspension bottoms or tops out.

If you want more stability, you'll need to add a track bar between the rear axle and the frame. This will be a mod I'll be doing to counteract the side to side movement that longer shackles can produce. (I'm also using long shackles)

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
I like it. Have you run it yet with the in-boarded springs? How do you like it? It looks like you welded the bushing sleeve mounts to the frame, have you also welded in gussets on the inside of the frame to help resist the twisting that mount will see? Better yet, boxing the frame in that area would help strengthen the mount.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brutus said:
Sweet !!!! Has that thing got a Hemi??? :) Looks like that will add tons-o-flex. Are those made out of 3/8" plate, or are they thicker?
they are 1/2"x2"x11", no hemi but the next best thing a fuel injected 440 ;D!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheRamChargerMan said:
sure makes them there bolts look tiny tho........
went today and got 9/16 grade 8s today ;) also the size of the shakle makes them look small,if someone says 3/8"s will work fine i use 1/2"{cool}

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tv_larsen said:
I like it. Have you run it yet with the in-boarded springs? How do you like it? It looks like you welded the bushing sleeve mounts to the frame, have you also welded in gussets on the inside of the frame to help resist the twisting that mount will see? Better yet, boxing the frame in that area would help strengthen the mount.
the in board springs help it flex a lot better i think it works much better than out boards,also the springs are 64"chevys, very soft!! i almost tore a frame in half at the moon rocks my 4th time out :eek: the frame on the pass side was tore half way through right under the cab and the rear end was sticking 18" out on the drives side so when i replaced the frame i boxed it from the front spring shakle all the way to the back with a solid peice of 3/16s" plate!! i lost all frame twist and a lot of rear suspension flex so now i'm trying to get it back ;D

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
Bracing the shackle won't allow it to "flex". It is a rock thing :) The side to side movement we want :)
Sorry Sam, but I'm not talking about Flex, I'm talking about stability. You don't want the shackles to twist from side to side when you do something like drive into a curve. Bracing the shackle has nothing to do with being a "Rock" thing, it has to do with keeping the springs and axles centered under the frame.

Ed

·
Registered
364 Posts
throttleboy said:
Brutus said:
they are 1/2"x2"x11", no hemi but the next best thing a fuel injected 440 ;D!!
What did you use to convert the 440 to fuel injection?

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
RXT said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:
Bracing the shackle won't allow it to "flex". It is a rock thing :) The side to side movement we want :)
Sorry Sam, but I'm not talking about Flex, I'm talking about stability. You don't want the shackles to twist from side to side when you do something like drive into a curve. Bracing the shackle has nothing to do with being a "Rock" thing, it has to do with keeping the springs and axles centered under the frame.

Ed
lol, your missing the point, that is what we want. These rigs are trail only, don't see more then 35 mph probably, if that. Most trail speeds are 5mph, 10mph if you get ansy. If the shackle allows the spring to twist and move, as well as the axle to do the same it will achieve more flex then if everything was super solid and the axle could only move up and down.

When one sid droops it naturally wants to swing under the vehicle. If the shackle isn't allowed to twist, it can't do that, thus hurting droop. The same applies for compression.

Trust me, it makes a huge difference if you have a brace or not, I have tried both apps with same length shackles. No brace flexs much more.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
lol, your missing the point, that is what we want. These rigs are trail only, don't see more then 35 mph probably, if that. Most trail speeds are 5mph, 10mph if you get ansy. If the shackle allows the spring to twist and move, as well as the axle to do the same it will achieve more flex then if everything was super solid and the axle could only move up and down.

When one sid droops it naturally wants to swing under the vehicle. If the shackle isn't allowed to twist, it can't do that, thus hurting droop. The same applies for compression.

Trust me, it makes a huge difference if you have a brace or not, I have tried both apps with same length shackles. No brace flexs much more.
Hmm. I'm just saying you want to have this;

----->
H
<-----

Not this;

----->
/ /
<-----

If one side droops and the other side stuffs, the length of the spring should take up the twist, instead of placing a bending force on the shackles. After awhile you could end up with this;

/ / / /

This;

/ / \ \

Or this;

<< \ \

Instead of this;

H H

Ed

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RXT said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:

Hmm. I'm just saying you want to have this;

----->
H
<-----

Not this;

----->
/ /
<-----

If one side droops and the other side stuffs, the length of the spring should take up the twist, instead of placing a bending force on the shackles. After awhile you could end up with this;

/ / / /

This;

/ / \ \

Or this;

<< \ \

Instead of this;

H H

Ed
if they end up like this all you would half to do is replace the urathane bushings in the frame mount ;) i really dont think they would do this << i think a bolt would break first as these are 1/2" thick by 2" wide, and the bolts are 9/16s grade 8!!

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Ed, reread my last post, when one side of the axle droops, it wants to go under the truck. So lets say the driver side, looking from the back of the truck to the front we want \\ since that is the natural way the axle wants to droop since the other side has weight on it. If it was only allowed to do this, || then it wouldn't droop so much.

They will always return to || since the front of the spring is solidily mounted. Unless you twisted your springs, but that ain't ever going to happen.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.