Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the different input shafts, how can one tell if a torque flite has a lock up converter?
My plan is to install a shift kit (or a manual VB) into what I think is a 904 (I should have identified the trans when I was installing the lokar TV cable) in my 318 powered '88. Most shift kits and valve bodies are for non lockup transmissions.
The engine is getting pulled this winter, so it will be a good time to do some transmission work.

·
Registered
773 Posts
To identify granny look at the pan, the 727 will have a finger pointing out of front passenger side corner corner, orange pan in photo, 904s green pan in photo are square pannes, lockup converters I believe didnt start until 89 or later depending on model, someone else on here should be able to have exact reference on the converter lockup, do a little searching on here been discussed multiple times.  Best of luck

Attachments

·
7,250 Posts
Lockup's started before 89, I had one I pulled from an 82. It was the original trans.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
Available in late 70's models. We've seen them posted here before.

·
Registered
773 Posts
That is what I get for typing on my phone with big fingers meant 79, as you can see my typing wasn't the greatest on the ole cellular. thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Lockup converter trannies have a different number of splines on the input shaft. Only one spline difference(don't remember which is which) You can't tell by eye, you need to count the splines.

·
7,250 Posts
moparmike72 said:
Lockup converter trannies have a different number of splines on the input shaft. Only one spline difference(don't remember which is which) You can't tell by eye, you need to count the splines.
You can tell by eye. Look at the input shaft, if it is splined to the end it is a non-lockup, if it is smooth on the end it is a lockup.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
can also tell by the wiring - if the electric plug above the neutral safety switch is a 2-pin then the tranny is an overdrive unit without lockup - if it has 3 pins it is a lockup.  I don't think any 727 (non-overdrive) trans ever came with a lockup.

·
7,250 Posts
Mad Max said:
I don't think any 727 (non-overdrive) trans ever came with a lockup.
They did, I had one

Chris

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
Mad Max said:
I don't think any 727 (non-overdrive) trans ever came with a lockup.
As mentioned, they did get used some. Mostly mid to late 70's 2wd's, but some years did have it available in 4wd. The lockup was hydraulically controlled, without dropping the pan, or pulling the Torq conv, (Or if you know the part numbers), there is no way to tell which you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'll find out when I pull the engine for the rebuild. Is there any negatives to using a lockup torqueflite for a street/strip build? I have a shift kit ready to install, but I'm not gonna install it into a lockup trans if its not gonna run right. I'd rather just find a non lockup trans.

I think some people are confusing the electronic lockup (OD), with the older hydraulic lockup systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.