Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
And when you're in 4x4 and you have a locker in the front its a bitch to steer.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
not if you have hydro assist. me personally would put a locker in the front if you were only going to put one in. Some people might disagree, but I believe that the front pulls the truck through everything, rocks, mud, etc. Yes you have more weight on the rear on a hill, but with the front locked it will pull you up. Just my personal preferance. I say locker out back and weld up the front :)

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Rear, climbs better like Kendall said, and you're less likely to break parts with a rear locker.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
oh yeah, at Ram Jam I sheared all the bolts off my pinion yoke so I only had fwd. I am welded up front and I still did all the trials that everyone else was doing (I was actually leading). That included climbing some steep rutted hills. Not sure if it would of been better with the rear working rather then the front, but like I said, with the front locked it will still pull. You gotta be an a very steep ass hill to make it where the front isn't doing anything. At that point I would say you are on the verge of messing up big time :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That whole bad steering cause of the locker on front think isn't a issue either. I'm locked up front and except for a harder "return-to-center" feeling, it didn't change much. Now on snow/ice or slick mud, it will tend to plow rather than steer, but not enough to negate the benefits of the locker.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
actually you are more likely to break and wear parts with a rear locker, since it is always locked. With the front locker and hubs unlocked, the locker isn't being used, so no wear and tear while daily driving.
The rear axle is stronger than the front. The front axle has knuckle u-joints, steering and stub shafts that are all more prone to failure than a simple solid rear axle. The steering action itself will add aditional stress loading. You're just talking about long term wear and tear, thats not my concern.

I can see a front locker working well, especially on loose material like dirt, sand, mub ect, but on high traction material, like Moab's slick rock most people run a selectable front locker that they disengage to turn make turns, or they shift to 2wd with automatic lockers. Very, very few run a spool in front. Even with hydro assist steering, it's just far too hard on parts.

·
3,752 Posts
Rear, for all the reasons Trent just mentioned. I had a front locker only once and never again.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I would choose a rear locker.

The rear axle is stronger and have less failure prone parts.
You can go further in two wheel drive before you have to shift into 4wd. A front locker requires you to immediately go to 4wd if the rear loses traction too soon, and then you may have too much traction for the terrain.

In mud, a front locker is useless if you must steer. Unlocking a hub defeats the purpose of having the locker to begin with.

A front locker isn't suggested for a full time 4wd.

Ed

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
We mostly do rock here and I have no problem steering with my front end welded up. I don't even have a problem on pavement. Hydro assist cures that. And I have no problem turning in the mud, sand, etc.

I have heard all the stories about front locked means you can't turn in the mud, pavement,etc. But my rig is proof that is false. Yes, it was hard to do it before I had hyro steer, but with hydro steer it turns just fine.

I can even turn on pavement with my hubs locked and the tcase in 2x. With no power to the front wheels, they fight each other on turns. But it still turns fine with hydro assist that way. Before I had hydro assist, I couldn't even turn the steering wheel with the hubs locked and in 2x on pavement.

I also just realized that he probably has half ton stuff. Since I have dana 60's front and rear, I haven't had a problem with anything welded up, that is why I said front. Dana 44's suck, so yeah I would put the locker in the rear. I broke alot of axle ujoints with a dana 44, but have yet to break one in a dana 60.

TV, when someone can build a $50,000 rig then of coarse they are going to use selectable lockers. It is the way to go. But since they are very pricey, low budget guys like me would rather weld it up for free (not even buy a spool) than pay 800 bucks for selectable locker and equipment. If I could afford it, I would have selectables front and rear.

I have never experienced any problem with steering or where I can go with welded up axles and hydro assist in mud, sand, rocks, pavement or trails. I even have better turning radius then most RC's do. Steve (dodgeman) doesn't even have hydro assist and he has no problem as well.

·
29,380 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
I also just realized that he probably has half ton stuff. Since I have dana 60's front and rear, I haven't had a problem with anything welded up, that is why I said front. Dana 44's suck, so yeah I would put the locker in the rear. I broke alot of axle ujoints with a dana 44, but have yet to break one in a dana 60.
While all of this is true, the traction advantage of it being in the rear is reason enough.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If you drive the vehicle on the street, and you get snow/ice in the winter, put it in the rear. In 4WD with a locker up front, on ice you will turn the steering wheel and continue going straight (they simply break free and slide). At least that was my experience with a limited slip up front on a truck. I can olny imagine a locker would be worse :eek:

-SM

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yes, I will second the locker in the front on snow and ice thing. You go very straight, very quickly.

And even a limited slip in the rear took me a bit to get used to on snow and ice. The RC spun around on me a couple times. However, now that I am used to a Sure-Grip rear, I couldn't imagine not having it.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
A locker in the rear up a hill is nice, but get selectable lockers and see which one being on and which one being off actually helps you on the hill, even with the weight transfer you will find that the front turned off just won't make do, but turn the rear off and put the front on and see what happens.

Making turns with the front locker on, on hard surfaces it is very noticeable there can be a problem, in the snow it is very noticeable there can be a problem under hard steering input situations, in mud i haven't seen any problems

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
There..........I bet we cleared it right up for ya, Huh? Clear as mud!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I ran one in just the front for a year and a half and just loved it. Now I have one in back also. Just to be safe. I have more problems turning on dry pavement with the rear locked than I do in the very limited times I have the front locked in on pavement. The front locked in without it being in 4 wheel drive is almost unnoticeable.

Brian

1 - 20 of 47 Posts