Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a truck type 904 given to me, it is from the TBI era, and has a electrical connection at the corner to allow the electronics to tell the lockup to engage. My 79 Volare Wagon, aka Chick Magnet, has no such electronics, so I am thinking that I can just hook it up via the cruise control system so that LockUp only occurs when cruise control is engaged. That would be on the rare occasion I actually leave town with this vehicle, which is the only time I would be on the freeway for extended periods of time. Otherwise, just on the local loops and freeways in the Phoenix area, where cruise control shouldn't be used.
Anybody see any problem with this idea?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I'd have to search, but I think B&M or someone makes an OD switch.

edit: I meant lock-up not OD. And I just found it, but it's for GM trannys. sorry.

Key Features
Provides control of converter lockup through vehicle speed on GM TH-700, 200, 200-4R, 350 and 4L60 transmissions with a lockup converter. Eliminates lock and unlock cycling and premature unwanted lockup avoiding engine lugging and spark knock. Provides lockup at highway speeds for fuel economy. Can be used for lockup operation when converting a non-lockup equipped vehicle to a lock-up style transmission and converter.
Applications
70244 Converter Lockup Control for GM automatic trans w/lockup converter & mechanical speedometer
70248 Converter Lockup Control for GM automatic trans w/lockup converter & electronic speedometer

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You could run a hobbs (sp?) switch, connect it to the hydraulic test port on the trans case for the direct clutch (not sure if thats what ma mopar calls it). That way when 3rd gear hits, the switch closes/hits a relay and voila` lockup....or am I crazy?...it sounds like it would work.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Or you can just use a simple switch and take 12v to it. Then you can manually control it, so if you are going up a hill and need a couple hundred more RPM, you can switch it off. Or leave it on, on the big downhill, for some compression braking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts