Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review is about the Lightforce RMDL170 Striker Offroad Lights I have had now for a good 6 months. Lightforce you say? Never heard of it before? Well, neither did I until the summer of 2003.

Lightforce is an Australian manufacturer and has received high test results in the Australian 4x4 scene. These lights are made of extremely durable polycarbonate, that is lightweight (around 24 ounces) and so stout that it can take a hit without leaving you with a shattered lense. Actually the Rod Hall's Hummer Team use these lights in the Baja Races, and so do a couple of other teams. Also, 4 Wheel & Offroad Magazine just featured a set on their "Project Race 150"(Cover 3/04 and p. 96 4/04).

After a little research via google I was ready to give them a try and ordered a set of the RMDL 170 Striker Lights from off-roadlights.com out of Washougal, WA.

Here the quick technical rundown:
  • 100 Watt Xenophot Bulbs
  • 6.6" reflector
  • 350,000 candlepower output
  • Gore-tex valve ventilation
  • High-impact polycarbonate lens
This light is the mid sized model. There is also the RMDL140 Lance (75 Watt, 5.5" reflector) and the RMDL240 Blitz, both as HID and 100 Watt Xenophot, with a 9.5" reflector available.

Shipping was extremely fast and the first thing I noticed when they arrived at my door was, how light weigth the box was. Compared to the Hella 4000s I have used before, I have to say, even if the Hella is an 8" light, both Lightforce Lights were not nearly as heavy as one Hella 4000 Light.

The shape of the Lightforce Offroad Lights follows function. It's not about esthetics or beauty, it's about function and do they function well. The performance of the near perfect parabolic reflector paired with the 100 Watt Xenophot bulbs is fantastic. Add to this the versatility of putting on different filters over the cone shaped lense that allows to have a fog light, a pencil beam or driving light in a matter of seconds.

These filters are available in multiple colors, such as clear, blue, amber, yellow, green, red and infra red and clip onto the reflector very easily. Each color is designed to meet different situations and requirements, such as fog, snow, night hunting or even night vision applications. I was first a little sceptical about breaking the clips on those filters, but they are manufactured from Lexan, a very durable material, that some of you might know from Nalgene water bottles.

A personal note on those filters: the standard filter that comes with the lights is a clear pencil beam cover. I prefer the clear combo filter, which gives a good driving beam pattern, sort of a mix between fog and pencil beam. It really helps a lot in a area with deers and other critters to spot any animals on the side of the road and on the road by just using one pair of additional lights instead of two or more.

Adjusting these lights is a breeze. The light weight make them easy to aim and I haven't had to re-adjust them since I installed them, although I didn't tightened them down very hard. I really came to appreciate that fact, since when driving off road on rough surface everything heavy rattles itself loose over short or long, at least from my experience.

Now, there is a downside to these lights, besides maybe the price (but I'll get to this later): they come without wiring harness. Which is a little thing that you would expect from a set of lights in the $200-300 range. I solved this little problems by getting the Painless Performance Auxiliary Light Relay Kit (#30803) for around $30-35. This kit provides cables that are long enough for a fullsize truck application and includes basically everything you need to install these lights, except maybe some heat shrink crimp connectors or whatever you prefer to wire the lights on your truck.
Check out off-roadlights.com for additional details on the wiring. Since the voltage on the bulbs should not exceed 13V, do some checking in order to prevent premature failure of your bulbs.

To conclude this review, I can highly recommend these lights. Sure, as I mentioned above, they are not cheap, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for. Lightforce specifies 350,000 candlepower from the 100 Watt 170 Striker lights. Seeing the light output in front of my truck I can only imagine what those 240 Blitz would look like: 730,000 candlepower output from a 9.5" reflector....

I can also highly recommend off-roadlights.com. Not only is their customer service top notch, but Dick at off-roadlights.com also agreed to sponsored our RamJam 2004 Event and donated one pair of RMDL170 Strike lights, one pair of RMDL240 Blitz lights and a set of clear combo filters for both, the RMDL170 and RMDL240. So, get your raffle tickets, because those lights definitley are a winner.

For more information about Lightforce, visit their US website at www.lightforceusa.com, or their Australian site at www.lightforce.net.au. Or you can visit off-roadlights.com to find out more about technical details, the different accessories available as well as the handheld versions of these lights.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm in the market for some off road lights myself, and I had remembered reading that a manufacturer or supplier had sponsored RamJam, so I thought I would look them up first, which led me to your post Santak. I went to that website, and HOLY COW! That guy was playing basketball with the housing! I'm not kidding, he bounced it about 6 foot off the ground numerous times! Not to mention taking a 20 gauge shotgun to a light WHILE IT'S ON! It never went out! I can't remember who it was in chat, but it was also pointed out that these lights are like mag-lights in the respect that you can adjust from a flood light to a pencil beam. VERY cool. Needless to say, I'm definitely getting at least one set, possibly 2 from this guy. I've already sent the specifications of the 170 series to my bumper fabricator so he can make the mounts for it. Depending on how much room I have on the top of the bumper, I'll get another set. Thanks again for all the good info, and I'm glad to be able to purchase from a RamJam sponsor.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.