Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to put in a lighter connection to use a CB today. The lighter doesn't work in Brute. I have no clue when it decided to stop working.

Now, am I right in that the lighter has a direct connection to the battery, positive terminal to be exact? So if worse came to worse, I would need to run new wiring from the lighter to the battery? I did check the wiring today but did not do a circuit check.

I hate to rip apart the harness to trace the wire. And there is a chance that even if I do trace it, the wire could be broken inside the insulation and undetectable. Somebody stop me if I'm out in left field.

What is the easiest way to fix the lighter to work?

You know what the irony is? Poor SI, my $200.00 trial rig, has a working lighter.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Check any fuses? Easiest thing anyone could do...

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
It runs thru the fuse box. I'm not trying to patronize you, talk down to you, scold you, make you feel like an idiot or anything like that. This is education. Think this out. If it's simply a wire running directly to the + side of the battery, you'd have anywhere between 500-1000 amps running thru your lighter, depending on the battery. That would be enough to fry the wiring. There's a 20 amp fuse in your fuse box for the lighter. There should also be a 4-5 amp fuse in the wiring adapter for your CB radio. Take the tip apart and check. If it's any bigger than that, replace it.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Also, if the fuse is good, you can buy a new lighter for like $5.00. They are really simple to install and it only takes about 5 minutes. Try the fuse. If no luck, and everything is plugged in, just buy a new one. It isn't uncommon for those to fail, I've replaced them in nearly every vehicle I have ever owned. Changing it out is easier than chasing all that wiring, and it rules it out as a possibility.

·
7,995 Posts
Also it needs a good ground which is normally at or near the lighter...if the lighter has been used any than the insides are probably hosed...time for a new one...need a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mine is routed over the starterswitch. It only works when "ign" is "on".
I assume you allready tried this, but just wanted to tell you before you tear the whole dash apart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stand corrected. And it does make sense that it goes through the fuse box. Just must have been told the wrong information at some time and it stuck in my head.

I will check the fuse #7. Chump sent me the diagram. I will do a circuit check and let you guys know what I find.

I want to move the CB from vehicle to vehicle so permanent wiring is not my plan.

Just want to get the darn lighter working!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news! The lighter is working!

There was a blown #7 fuse. And for Brute, you have to have the ignition on for the lighter to work. In SI, the lighter works without the ignition on.

Thanks Guys, you all saved Brute again!!!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
My lighter in the 82 & the 85 both work constantly.... not to mention in the 85 the a/c compressor, stereo, and blinkers all work constant too.... got to figure that one out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts