Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got any suggestion on what might be causing a light throttle stumble for a 89 ramcharger 5.2 TBI ? pretty noticeable in parking lots when going slow and using light amount of gas. occasionally stalls but most of the time it usually seems to catch itself before stalling. also seems to jerk the drive train when you let your foot off the gas while driving which i think might be related. just replaced the o2 sensor and pretty sure the MAP and TPS tested good when i was testing them. pretty sure the idle control motor is working. i haven't tried checking to make sure it is properly adjusted but doubt it has really been messed with yet.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l know you said you tested the TPS but do it again at the TPS [ record readings ] then do it at the PCM , you should get the same readings / do this for ALL sensors O2 - temp - throttle body temp- MAP and check all grounds

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would the throttle body temp sensor really make that much of a difference. i know the connector for it seems a bit loose but no codes are coming up for it. just have the ghost 37 code popping up. the o2 i am pretty sure should be fine as far as wiring goes. i just replaced it on friday and it made a huge difference to how it runs but it also allowed me to realize it may not be the only issue.

i have been meaning to check the fuel pressure but since it ran fine higher up rpm wise i didn't really think to check it. if you stomp on the gas it is a bit sluggish taking off but no stumble.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when ya open up the air inlet ( throttle) you must have added fuel ( carb accelerator pump?) if either the pressure isn't there or the sensor activating its delivery ( TPS)  is bad the fuel will not be there and a stall/severe stumble is saying that ,(LEAN) so I agree with the above reply's .  so what is the accelerator pump in an efi system ?TPS and programing ..  does warm / cold matter ?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could i just unplug it? i know the v6's don't have them at all and i know it won't set off an engine code. i have played with enough lately to start seeing what will set off a code or not.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fuel pressure seems to be fine. it is sitting at about 15psi or so and will go as high as 40psi before stalling if you try squeezing off the return line. fuel pressure also holds steady when you give it throttle. i think the throttle body temp is working. i couldn't get the the resistance lower than about 4000ohms but i know it is suppose to be [email protected]*f and [email protected]*f. the reading did at least start going back up when i shut the engine off. i haven't had a chance to doubt check resistances or look at how much of a pain they will be to check at the pcm. could i just check the resistance readings of the of the wire from sensor connector to pcm connector?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.