Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I have lifted my RC whith skyjacker 8" suspension and 3" body lift, and I have vibrations.
The vibrations stars from 5-30mph and then they are gone! If I place the shifter in 1st gear the vibrations seems to be little less..
I have changed the U-Joints, I have extended rear driveshaft. It is a 4wd but I only have the rear drive shaft assembled. I mounted new 39.5 interco tires but I have put sand balancers in them, that works great!
I had to grind of quite some from the U-joint in both ends.

Can someone please help me...?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Sounds like the vibration is from the drive shaft because of the lift and short wheel base.  You need a double cardan joint at the transfer case on the rear drive shaft, just like the front shaft, then shim the rear so it's inline with the drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Gonna have to say most likely a Drive shaft angle issue here as it is quite common with short drive shaft vehicles that are lifted. could be that the two u joints in your drive shaft are out of phase by one or more splines, that will cause harmonic vibrations  as well

DB426

·
Registered
600 Posts
You do have a classic driveline vibration, what you should have done was get the factory angle of your drive line, before the lift. And then after the lift your drive line angle has to match the original, now that is obtained by changing your pinion angle, buy shimming the diff,and or dropping the transfer case, all this is very common on lited Jeeps, and you should get this done or risk damaging your drive shaft and or trans output shaft and bearing
Note these angle measurments have to be front and rear of the rear drive line

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to explain how to shim a diff. I am from sweden and dont quite understand what you mean. Is it placing triangular shaped steel pieces under the rear leaf springs so the pinjong (yoke) aims more correct towards the t-case?

thanks all of you... I will try to lower the t-case 2" this saturday...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes shimming the diff is putting the triangular pieces of metal in so the pumpkin will rotate upwards and the angle will be lessened. If you are or know a good welder you can also drop the axle out and cut the spring perches off then weld them on slightly foward of where they are now and it will do the same thing as the shims

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the help!
Yesterday I lowered the t-case about 2", and all of my vibrations dissapered!
The truck now runs as smooth as any car!
I had to shorten my driveshafts to make them fit.

Now I need your oppinion on making it a full time 4wd. A couple of friends use airlockers, but I was thinking about E-lockers cause yoh have the limited slip when you dont engage the diff lockers!

·
Vendor
11,522 Posts
Just a note; Do NOT shim the front axle!!!! When you add a shim to the front axle it changes the alignment & how the truck steers on the road.
In the rear you could use a Detroit locker & in the front it's up to how much you want to spend.
Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I did not shim the front axle, It seems to work anyway!

How much is a detroit locker, and where can I buy It?

·
Registered
722 Posts
The front driveshaft has a "CV joint" in it so it can take a lot more lift. You could also have one put in the rear shaft and that would kill the vibes too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you

Which one is it I need, to get a complete rear axel with a detroit locker. I believe I have the dana 60 rear...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Its 5 lug wheel I think Its stock axle

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
What year is your Ramcharger? If it has the stock axles, then it'll have either a 8.25 or the 9.25.
Chrysler axle id for a picture of different rear axles. If it's kind of round, then it's an 8.25. If it's octagon shape, then it's an 9.25.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She was born 1985

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If you have a 9.25, you have to get one that's for 85-96 because they changed the axle ends for the C-clip that holds them into the differential.  I don't know if anything was changed on the 8.25.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.