Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 w10 stepside and just installed a skyjacker 6" system after putting on the rear springs the axle is not centered in the wheel well. i have 3" from the tire to the front edge of the wheel well and 8" in the rear the springs are installed to the instructions. i don't know what was on it before but everything worked. with the new springs mounted also the drive shaft is to long. has anybody had these problems or any ideas?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Are the springs facing the right way?

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
yeah sounds like theyre on backward. and yes its normal that the driveshaft would be too short

·
Registered
914 Posts
Pleas note that heavy arched springs are often made this way.
When a spring compresses, the axle will move away from the fixed spring point (in this case rearwards) so the wheel will move closer to the center of the wheelwell and at full compression, it will be exactly at the center.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the skyjacker 6" softride rear springs installed with the thick end of the angle shim on the bootom of the spring towards the rear bumper and the truck setting on the ground as it will be driven

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
can you do some pix? that may help

G

·
jcanter said:
its the skyjacker 6" softride rear springs installed with the thick end of the angle shim on the bootom of the spring towards the rear bumper and the truck setting on the ground as it will be driven
That would be the correct orientation for the spring unless the shim was installed backwards on the springpack.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Outlaw said:
jcanter said:
That would be the correct orientation for the spring unless the shim was installed backwards on the springpack.
Whoa! If the thick end of the shim is towards the bumper?? shouldn't that aim the pinion DOWN on the front.. I thought the shim was used to aim the pinion up towards the T-case.
Or am I missing something??

·
Registered
551 Posts
No the thick end should be towards the bumper. When the bolts are tight the rear end will have to get pulled up in the front(the thin end) and the pinion will get raised.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
It sounds like the springs are in backwards. If you look at the springs there is a center pin which indexes the axle. It is not located at the center of the spring. You may need to turn the springs around so that the center pin is further back.

I don't agree with the idea of the axle centering when the spring compresses. Why would Skyjacker design a set of springs that is oriented towards having compressed springs?

Try turning the springs around.

Ed

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
1st off, the springs aren't in backwards, all mopars use a short front section (to reduce wheel hop, and axle wrap and improve traction), so if it was backwards the drivshaft would be to short.
Sounds like you are still using the lift block which isn't a problem, but it sounds like you put the pinion shim at the top of the block, between the spring and the block, and not the block and spring perch on the axle, this is giving you the added forward location of the rear, do to the angle of the shim multiplied by the length of the block.
Put the shim between the block and the rear axle spring perch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the shim is part of the spring so it is above the block. if you measure from the spring eyelet to the spring pin it measures 25" both ways the new springs measure 24" front and 28" rear. i bought the truck and don't know what the had did so i was changing it to a 6" soft ride system now that i have the front on the rear sets about 2" lower and the rear drive shaft is to long.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ya know what I was just thinking of this and wondering, Is there a shim in the rear axle at all? On my 4" lift there is a shim for the front axle and the rear blocks are cut at an angle. Is the 6" lift that much different. Maybe the shims should go in the front and not the rear at all and if the blocks are cut like mine maybe one or both of the blocks are in wrong. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok heres what i think i need to do raise the rear 2" and move the axle back 2" any ideas?
Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The problem is the location of the shim on top of the block and yes the block also has a degree machined into it, by the shim being above the 3" block it is making the rear also move closer to the front due to the length of the block and the angle of the shim, take the shim and put it between the block and the spring perch that is welded to the rears axle tube, otherwise you will have the rear the way it is, or if you don't like that idea machine the block a few more degrees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts