Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at getting either a 5'' or 4'' lift kit for my 88 Power Ram. I was wondering how hard are they to install yourself. And is there any driveline work or any other work that will need to be done to make it drive correctly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For a beginner, medium to hard, but not imposible. Have someone around to help you out. Assuming you go with a suspension lift you'll need to to get a longer pitman arm, which you'll need a tool to remove it(you can usually rent them at PepBoys or Autozone). Plan on an entire weekend just incase. Afterwards, you'll probably want to get an alignment.

Also, lay out your material and make sure you have all the tools required (mostly wrenches and a good prybar just in case). Look at the kit and all that goes with it, this way if you have any questions, you can ask before you begin.

By the way, is this your daily driver?

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
4" is a safe number to stay with that doesn't require driveshaft and steering corrections as well as brake line and electric wire adjustments. Of coarse steering correction does help with a 4" lift, but it isn't required to make it still work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, almost forgot, look at the "How To" section on this site. There are some really good write ups, including lift kit installations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, this is a daily driver. I was thinking of getting a 4'' lift but now i know how much more work a 5'' is ill stick with a 4''.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts