Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a 6 inch lift kit for my rear axle asap cause right now i have 2 inchs in the rear and 6 in the front and if any one has one i could have or bye chhep it would help!!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
If you have 2 inches in the rear right now, do a shackle flip and that will put you right at 6 inches in the rear.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
This could start an arguement or debate but I wouldn't use a shackle flip on a daily driver. Seeing that your 15 yo i'm sure this would be your first set of wheels and probably the only thing you have to drive. If this is going to be a daily driver and more for looks go with a true lift kit with springs. Leaf springs are designed with the front half doing most of the work and load bearing while the rear half is more for comfort and suspension travel part of the deal. The rear spring eye is higher then the front eye. With the shackle flip the rear eye becomes lower then the front eye and makes the rear half of the spring do more of the load bearing. The rear half is more flexable then the front half so the ride is smoother and suspension travel is increased. The trade off is that stability and load bearing is decreased. It could cause some funky handeling. Some might argue that its tolerable, but they probably don't push a vehicle in the corners like I do or like a 16 yo might. You can't have the best of both worlds, need to decide if this is a true trail truck or a work or for looks truck.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
chrysler300le said:
This could start an arguement or debate but I wouldn't use a shackle flip on a daily driver. Seeing that your 15 yo i'm sure this would be your first set of wheels and probably the only thing you have to drive. If this is going to be a daily driver and more for looks go with a true lift kit with springs. Leaf springs are designed with the front half doing most of the work and load bearing while the rear half is more for comfort and suspension travel part of the deal. The rear spring eye is higher then the front eye. With the shackle flip the rear eye becomes lower then the front eye and makes the rear half of the spring do more of the load bearing. The rear half is more flexable then the front half so the ride is smoother and suspension travel is increased. The trade off is that stability and load bearing is decreased. It could cause some funky handeling. Some might argue that its tolerable, but they probably don't push a vehicle in the corners like I do or like a 16 yo might. You can't have the best of both worlds, need to decide if this is a true trail truck or a work or for looks truck.
you make some valid points here doug, however, i will have to disagree with you for once. i did the shackle flip in my RC and use/will use it as a daily driver. while it does cahnge the way the vehicle handles, it is not so extreme that it does not function well or that he can not get used to in a short period of time. i will admit that you cannot corner the truck like mario andretti on crank, but it does handle extremely well.

you are right in saying that load handling will be decreased, will not be able to haul/tow nearly as much as you could with a regualr lift kit.

eric

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really im not for looks i mean dodge is made to do work and thats what i plan on doing trails and towing also i want it to be a daliy driver. the way the guy hade it when in got it was sow the"eye" was hanging down in the front with brken lift blocks i tell you that was pretty hared to handle but whae i fixed it i put a new block on it then put the "eye" back to were it belongs and thats when i lost my lift also the guy broke a leaf in the pack so i might need new springs but then again you cant just get rear spring. what i need is a cheep but rellyable way to get its lift back. whiah is better shackle or spring kit

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
chysler300le, it is true just lengthening the shackle will make the rear portion of the spring lower than the front.

there is a solution. drop the spring hanger too.

if you add a longer shackle only, you only get half lift. for example, the shackle is 3 longer. that gives you 1.5" of lift.

but if you drop the spring hanger down an equal amount you get full lift.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If your springs have been broken before, I would definitely go for new springs. I think you can buy lift springs without the full kit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dose anyone have a link that i could look at all the places i go only have the full kits

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I think that you would have to call.

G

·
If you can make the drive to the southern suburbs I will give you the springs that I just took out of my RC.
They roughcontry springs and are made to remove the block and lift the vehicle 4" over stock

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
were exactly are you in denver? cause i dont know when ill be able to go there but i need to pick up a tranny in arura or elizabeth how hard would it to get to your place from there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts