Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I found the "how to" for the 2WD RC, but I can't find a lift kit that will work on it.  I've called everywhere I could think of and have been referred to... Can anyone who has done a lift link me to a lift kit that will work?

Thanks!

AandD

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Aandd said:
Hello all!

I found the "how to" for the 2WD RC, but I can't find a lift kit that will work on it. I've called everywhere I could think of and have been referred to... Can anyone who has done a lift link me to a lift kit that will work?

Thanks!

AandD
There is no "lift kit" available for the 2wd RC.
The options you have is follow the "How To" article and/or add a body lift.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RXT said:
There is no "lift kit" available for the 2wd RC.
The options you have is follow the "How To" article and/or add a body lift.

Ed
Thanks for the feedback. I can't tell you how many mechanics/suspension shops I have spoken to and come up empty handed.... While I do some work on cars, I'll be the first to admit this is outside my skillset. Following the How To article, the only thing I need to buy is the new springs, and perhaps the coil booster? The local mechanic that everyone recommends for his work on older cars reviewed the How-To and asked that I source the needed parts, as he had been unable to....

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Well, thinking about that lift, I'm sure blocks in the rear would work and possibly coil springs from a D350 2WD  Cummins truck. But, speculation on my part.

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Aandd said:
Thanks for the feedback. I can't tell you how many mechanics/suspension shops I have spoken to and come up empty handed.... While I do some work on cars, I'll be the first to admit this is outside my skillset. Following the How To article, the only thing I need to buy is the new springs, and perhaps the coil booster? The local mechanic that everyone recommends for his work on older cars reviewed the How-To and asked that I source the needed parts, as he had been unable to....

Many thanks.
The lift in the "How To", comes from the spring boosters. There aren't longer springs for these trucks and I don't know which springs from something else you can use. You can certainly change springs, such as D250, D350 or Cummins springs and they will add more stiffness, or firmness, but none of them will add much lift.. The 2wd 3/4 and one ton trucks got a bit more ride height from the lower control arms. Each arm has a spring pocket that is recessed. The 3/4 and one ton had less recess while the 1/2 ton and RCs had a deeper recess. I don't know if you can swap lower control arms because I couldn't tell you if the lower ball joints are the same. And in any case, it's probably not worth the effort when you can get more lift from the use of the coil spring boosters.

The "How To" basically shows you how to install two spring boosters per spring. One booster goes on top of the spring and fits inside the frame. The other booster goes on the bottom of the spring and sits between the spring and lower control arm. Keep in mind that this is an IFS type suspension and it's likely to have less down travel and the tires will be leaning in at the top. You will need to get a realignment and depending on how much lift you gained, you may not be able to fully realign the front end.

Ed

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
RXT said:
There aren't longer springs for these trucks and I don't know which springs from something else you can use. You can certainly change springs, such as D250, D350 or Cummins springs and they will add more stiffness, or firmness, but none of them will add much lift.. The 2wd 3/4 and one ton trucks got a bit more ride height from the lower control arms. Each arm has a spring pocket that is recessed. The 3/4 and one ton had less recess while the 1/2 ton and RCs had a deeper recess. I don't know if you can swap lower control arms because I couldn't tell you if the lower ball joints are the same. And in any case, it's probably not worth the effort when you can get more lift from the use of the coil spring boosters.
You got it backwards.... the 3800-4000# suspension suspension has the deeper recess and a longer/stiffer spring; longer shock too. I put the complete heavier suspension in my 2wd Ramcharger. All the balljoints and TREs have bigger tapers.

It was beyond my resources to close up the 1/2-ton suspension with cummins coils. I'd probably try an aluminum or poly coil spacer first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.