Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a 83 ramch. with the lift gate... been soo hot here and haveing a black truck... i decided too remove the whole gate ... been driving with it off for a while and dam the air flow is alot better!!!.. now i want too just hook up a regular tailgate... any one one this befor?and no there is no exhaust flow inside cause they exit out the sides.

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
YUP 4traxx did this to his / you hafta get a PU tail gate and then cut yer hatch in half / and then use the top glass part/ didnt look great but it worked

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
When you're driving, there is a low pressure area behind the hatch. Everything will be pulled into the area. Thats why you notice that the rear glass can get pretty cruddy at times. The exaust maybe off to the sides (Yes it's still better than having the exaust pipes ending at the rear) but the exaust can still collect in that low pressure area. Without the hatch, you risk exaust entering the passenger area. So long as you keep the door windows down or use a fan to push the air to the back you will minimize the risk.

You can install a regular tailgate. Covering the upper part will require fabricating an upper hatch.

Ed

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats wat i plan too do and yes i have a cooling fan were my rear view mirror used too be...works nice no fumes come in at all...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got my tailk gat etody....(thx bummo)..and will be cuttin up my hatch too fit!!... will be takin pics on the fab job, also got a dished hood from the old 80ram we got for parts... looks good on the 83 body..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
what about modifying an older TD or RC tailgate and lift hatsh to work for what you are lookin for

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the plan is too get the tailgate working and cut the lift hatch too fit... so next year i will be cuttin off the top and putting in a roll bar..and runnin a tanno top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts