Dodge RamCharger Central banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
Get one of those big portable swamp coolers, they are great for outdoors, or a garage.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Get one of those big portable swamp coolers, they are great for outdoors, or a garage.
Have a swamp cooler blowing through the south wall. After I work out in the heat all day at my job my enthusiasm is getting pretty thin lol.

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
Have a swamp cooler blowing through the south wall. After I work out in the heat all day at my job my enthusiasm is getting pretty thin lol.
Yea, that will do it. I just have a little portable one, not too bad inside the shop, but I do not have the room to bring a vehicle in, so a lot of my stuff is outside. One of these days I will get a big one, but I also have a gravel parking lot, so moving it around would be a pain.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Caliche under my carport, same problem. It can still be 100 or so at 10pm so waiting for it to cool off doesn't fly during the week. Friday/Saturday I sometimes start around midnight and tinker all night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Google has proven useless [as usual] on crank flange to block dimensions for the late hemi and LA motors. Anybody here know?
I'm working on the same swap in an A body with a stroker small block. I was doing some flexplate research and came across your thread. Not sure if you've already done work on your flexplate yet, but I've got a gen 3 hemi and a 340 that I took measurements off of while it was going together.

Small block - crank flange to block is 0.560
Gen 3 - Crank flange to block is 0.472 (12mm)

I've found .090 posted by another source, so I feel pretty comfortable. I still think that a spacer between the trans/engine will be required to keep from bottoming the converter in the crank and killing the #3 bearing.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm working on the same swap in an A body with a stroker small block. I was doing some flexplate research and came across your thread. Not sure if you've already done work on your flexplate yet, but I've got a gen 3 hemi and a 340 that I took measurements off of while it was going together.

Small block - crank flange to block is 0.560
Gen 3 - Crank flange to block is 0.472 (12mm)

I've found .090 posted by another source, so I feel pretty comfortable. I still think that a spacer between the trans/engine will be required to keep from bottoming the converter in the crank and killing the #3 bearing.
Gonna be a cool A body. I haven't started on mine yet, doing a bunch of other work to it at the moment. Which flexplate are you going with? The GM based piece is flat whereas the Mopar small block plate has a stamped center. I'm buying a core block from a local machine shop to use for mockup but until I get into it I'll have no idea of how it's all going lay out in regards to converter depth and starter alignment.

They do make this, and I saw another link for a 1/2" thick piece from a different company although I didn't check it out. Bottom of the page.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gonna be a cool A body. I haven't started on mine yet, doing a bunch of other work to it at the moment. Which flexplate are you going with? The GM based piece is flat whereas the Mopar small block plate has a stamped center. I'm buying a core block from a local machine shop to use for mockup but until I get into it I'll have no idea of how it's all going lay out in regards to converter depth and starter alignment.

They do make this, and I saw another link for a 1/2" thick piece from a different company although I didn't check it out. Bottom of the page.

I'm still in the parts collection phase. I talked with Russel at Sound German like you did, super knowledgeable guy. I also spoke to Axis Industries, they have a similar box for their 2.8 Cummins/8HP70 swap for jeeps, theirs will also work with a gen 3 and retains torque management with both. They don't offer a kit for standalone/fake torque management yet, but said work was ongoing.

I came to the same conclusion about a mockup setup, I've been hunting for a cheap block/crank to do my test fitting to try and account for the extra .090 vs the factory setup.

I would think that .035 less engagement on the converter is preferable to too much, but worst case is a pass with a fly cutter and take off whatever is needed.

You're further along than I am, so I probably wont be much help, but I'm open to bouncing ideas off of if it helps.

I have a stock hemi flexplate that should be here today, I can take measurements on it combine that with the gen 3 measurements, I've also got a spare LA flexplate here too somewhere. I can take whatever measurements on the Gen3, there's one in the garage, but I dont' have a spare LA.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
I'm still in the parts collection phase. I talked with Russel at Sound German like you did, super knowledgeable guy. I also spoke to Axis Industries, they have a similar box for their 2.8 Cummins/8HP70 swap for jeeps, theirs will also work with a gen 3 and retains torque management with both. They don't offer a kit for standalone/fake torque management yet, but said work was ongoing.

I came to the same conclusion about a mockup setup, I've been hunting for a cheap block/crank to do my test fitting to try and account for the extra .090 vs the factory setup.

I would think that .035 less engagement on the converter is preferable to too much, but worst case is a pass with a fly cutter and take off whatever is needed.

You're further along than I am, so I probably wont be much help, but I'm open to bouncing ideas off of if it helps.

I have a stock hemi flexplate that should be here today, I can take measurements on it combine that with the gen 3 measurements, I've also got a spare LA flexplate here too somewhere. I can take whatever measurements on the Gen3, there's one in the garage, but I dont' have a spare LA.
All I've done so far is a bunch of armchair engineering, bought a trans, controller, shifter, and a flexplate I'm not sure will work. Not ahead of you at all lol. I bought a stroker kit last year but haven't even opened the box. I'll use that crank for mockup when I finally get all this other stuff done.

Have an appointment with an upholstery shop next month, getting everything fabbed so he can do the soft top. Been making a new drip rail today, should have it ready for some seam sealer and primer by in the morning. Then a bunch of grinding, seam sealing, priming and roughed in body work on the rest of it. Like I said, I ain't ahead of you at all. Keep us apprised of your progress. Any way I can help just say the word.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I'm not even sure the .090" will be an issue if the flexplate has a stock LA offset, the converter may slide back a mile when unbolted from the flexplate on a hemi. Do you have a trans yet? If not get me the dimension from the hemi flexplate to the block face. I'll shove the converter all the way in and measure converter bolts to trans face, and the converter hub to trans face.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not even sure the .090" will be an issue if the flexplate has a stock LA offset, the converter may slide back a mile when unbolted from the flexplate on a hemi. Do you have a trans yet? If not get me the dimension from the hemi flexplate to the block face. I'll shove the converter all the way in and measure converter bolts to trans face, and the converter hub to trans face.
No transmission yet, I've got my brothers gen 3 B body swap parts taking up valuable garage space right now. I'm out of town for Carlisle, let me get a couple measurements next week and I'll post them here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Will be following this trying to put a 5.7l hemi with a 8HP70 into my 76 Trailduster sitting on a 74 shortened powerwagon200 frame with a 205 transfercase if I can make it all work that is.

·
Registered
28,618 Posts
heres files l had that l was gonna delete it but l,ll put it here

Attachments

Reactions: R!bcracker

·
Registered
28,618 Posts
stock hemi Dak explodes a Mod'ed 8HP70

·
Registered
507 Posts
stock hemi Dak explodes a Mod'ed 8HP70

I believe that is actually an HP90, from the same hellcat the motor came from. There have been issues with the 8 speeds grenading on the dyno. Seen a couple videos of this happening. I am wondering if it has something to do with the programming or trans control at high speed. Didn't watch the follow up video to see exactly what happened to that Dakotas 8 speed.

Neil

61 - 74 of 74 Posts