Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
IMHO, I think bolts would be the way to go. Also I would make sure to try to think of what parts wear out first in those areas. I mean I don't think most do, but I think of it in ways of how much will it cost me to fix if I screw one up when trying to fab something. I am tight when it comes to funds.

I like the idea of bolts because it pretty much could be undone and "readjusted". You could be on to something with this swap. Contact that company in WA state and discuss with them. They may have your reasons as to why it hasn't been done or an easy, but expensive solution. Also has the 8speed trans been used in anything else? Might be able to find something easier to swap the in-between parts.

I think the swap will become more popular in the next 5 to 10 years with multiple options available. It takes about 10 total for the aftermarket to catch up to new tech in the transmission realm.

I bet you saw this in your searching. Damm impressive. He has a hemi turning the 8 speed.

Superburban, this video is so relatable to me. It literally sounds the same as my charger when it takes off from inside the car, goes like hell and doesn't stop pulling till you let out of the skinny pedal. These new hemi's and LS's are something but I also hate sensors and electronic body modules etc.....which has kept me away from them entirely in a swap situation.

Neil

Reactions: inzane

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Spent about an hour on the phone with Russell at SGA today, learned a lot. Also got the answer to the flywheel issue. Drill the 8HP converter bolt pattern, possibly use a spacer, bolt it together. May have to use the matching 5.7 starter. Done. Time to start hunting for a transmission.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hell yeah, where there is a will (or parts readily available) there is a way!

Neil

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Trans and flexplate enroute, should be here next week. It may be a while before I get around to pulling the motor to drop in the 410 kit and then figure out the rest, but having the parts here will let me study on it. Currently working on getting a soft top made to fit around the cage, fabbing up something for it to attach to. The upholstery guy is by appointment only so gotta get that done fairly quick.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Google has proven useless [as usual] on crank flange to block dimensions for the late hemi and LA motors. Anybody here know?

·
Super Moderator
59,495 Posts
Does this help?

Old-school LA-engine automatic transmissions and manual-trans bellhousings bolt up (just leave out the top bolt), but there's a slight misalignment because the LA crank's "stick-out" relative to the rear block bellhousing face is about 0.090-inch longer compared to the Gen III Hemi. The new Hemi has an eight-bolt crank flange, compared to six on production LA motors and cranks. The Hemi ring gear is now on the flexplate, not the torque converter as previously. Gen III flywheels and flexplates are neutral-balanced.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Does this help?

Read that article. Like to find the exact dimensions so I know the spacing is on the chili since I'll be using a bastardized Chevy conversion flexplate, don't want to cause any internal converter issues. Got some feelers out around town trying to beg/buy an LA block and crank for mock up.

Something I find confusing is that a .125" bellhousing to block spacer is available to bolt a 904 to a hemi, but no mention of needing one for a 727. Far as I know 727's and 904's use the same basic flexplate, do they not?

·
Super Moderator
59,495 Posts
Yea, I always thought they were the same.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I'll stop by a machine shop tomorrow, see what they have in their stash in the way of blocks/cranks. The boneyards here sent all the older stuff to the crusher long ago.

They might have a book with the dimensions I need too.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Trans showed up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Aint that about the weirdest converter you ever seen?

Neil

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Aint that about the weirdest converter you ever seen?

Neil
It is indeed. Chain driven pump too so no drive tangs on the converter neck. It seats so easily it makes you wonder if you have it in right.

·
Registered
28,317 Posts
Google has proven useless [as usual] on crank flange to block dimensions for the late hemi and LA motors. Anybody here know?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Shot those guys an email a few days back, the response was basically that they had no idea how to make the HP work standalone. Chris, the guy that responded, referenced Russell at Sound German Automotive as being the one who can. Coincedentally Russell is the one that's supplying my PCS controller. Been reading his stuff, the man is no joke on cracking factory code and programming. He's got a guy's Dart in the 8's with a NAG1 using stock internals.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Got a file of the controller install instructions today...........the programming required.......hoo boy. :oops: Anybody know off the top of your head how much positive/negative torque the avg 410 makes at 0% TPS? That's line 1 of the torque table in 500 rpm increments across the RPM range. Line 2 is 12.5% TPS........continue all the way to 100% If you're wrong it can fry the trans. Yep........this is gonna be a real frickin' hoot. :D

·
Super Moderator
59,495 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
This will likely get you close. Look around on their site, they have other charts that may be better.

It's the idle to 2500 numbers that are the kicker. Going to have to find a way to extrapolate those or find the programming numbers for the stock Hemi. It's better to overestimate than under. Given my motor's bumpy cam and Vic Jr single plane vs the Hemi smooth idle, better heads and dual runner length intake, it's a given the Hemi makes more torque on the bottom.

Soft torque is another reason for my wanting the 8spd. I knew the ProFlow 4's single plane wasn't the right intake for a heavy truck when I bought it, but I didn't want a Sniper, Fitech or FAST stuff. Hence the 410 kit and 8spd. The stroker will help port velocity by increasing piston speed a bit without increased RPM, and the narrow splits of the trans will help keep it from falling on it's ass after a shift.
The Vic Jr is probably giving up 30-40 lbft below 2500 vs a good dual plane. The Vic Jr doesn't start to wake up until 4000. Range is advertised as 3500-7000+. Edelbrock tech says since there's no carb it doesn't affect torque but we all know that's horseshit.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Controller, harness and Challenger shifter arrived from SGA, and a flexplate from Summit. Still gotta get that redrilled. Russell preloaded what he believes will be a workable torque table into the controller, I'll have to buy an aftermarket tuner to make any changes to the stock TCM shift patterns, converter lockups etc same as any factory vehicle.

Now I just need to get in the mood to pull a perfectly fine running engine out, get the bores touched up and throw the stroker kit in it. 103 here today, hotter tomorrow, may wait until this fall when it cools off some. Get the details figured out in the meantime.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts