Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I refinished my hard wood floors, putting the last coat on yesterday afternoon (on my face-book-for those of you who have it and are curious), I have two rooms that I need to carpet. I am having a co-worker of my dad's do it after work (professional installer). I am also purchasing some commercial padding through my dad's employer (60lb).

My two rooms in questions are 12X15 and 13X17. Here is a horrible lay out of the large room:

I have built in closest, which are teal. The entry point is left of the closet (green if you can see it). I have two windows in the bedroom. One is directly across from the closet and the other is on the right side of just in front of the closet.

Dad and I measured the the rooms this morning. The measurement allows for some scraps for the closets and what not. It appears that in talking to a local Home Depot flooring employee I am going to have to join two sections (fine-no big deal). BUT I was floored by the price. For those two rooms she wanted to charge me $837, mind you the carpet was $1.98 per sq ???. Am I totally off my rocker for being big eyed when I saw that number? I mean I did rough math in my head and well it doesn't add up. It's more like $3 per sq. She knew I just wanted the carpet and nothing else.

Carpet in question is:

Mohawk
style/color: Pipeline/Sandstone

I only went to the big box shops around town with it being Sabbath and no one open with the smaller carpet shop.

My company also has a customer who offers 30-40% discount on carpet. I guess they make 80% of all of the carpet in the US/world from talking to them. They said just to call them with my color and style and see what they could do. So I am going to call them tomorrow on my lunch to ask them about it.

Thoughts/ideas..words of wisdom?

G

·
Well just going by your room dimensions, you need 401 sq. ft. of carpet. 401x$1.98= $793.98 add in 7% tax and i got $849.56

·
Registered
52,714 Posts
The price of flooring has doubled since I got out 11 years ago. Also they started this per sq ft crap that throws me off.

You have 45 sq yds of carpet. Most houses are only 100-150sq total, then add the "other" flooring for the kit and baths. So that's high but like I said the prices have doubled since I was doing it.  :-\

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there, Gavin. You seem like you're getting involved with a lot of people you or your dad know "through work". Just be advised, when contractor situations don't go well, it often leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and everyone goes nuts.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Pat. He's like the operations manager of all of the construction sites the business he works for. So he actually see's these guys work up close everyday....

On the same note, I am really uncomfortable paying that kind of money and having HD outsource the installation to a no namer type of thing. Then give them the keys to my place...especially after I refinished the hardwood floors...makes me cringe you know?

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
ramitupurs84 said:
I agree Pat. He's like the operations manager of all of the construction sites the business he works for. So he actually see's these guys work up close everyday....

On the same note, I am really uncomfortable paying that kind of money and having HD outsource the installation to a no namer type of thing. Then give them the keys to my place...especially after I refinished the hardwood floors...makes me cringe you know?
Absolutely. I have a real hard time letting anyone work on my stuff (truck, house, etc). There is little I can't do when it comes to home ownership and construction, and what I can't, I try and do as much homework as possible and still do it myself. Unfortunately, there will come a time when a service is required (be it to maintain a certain standard, or from a code-driven aspect) and someone has to get called in. I think laying a couple of rooms of carpet definitely qualifies.

I refuse to contract anyone for work on anything of mine without at MINIMUM 20 referrals. It's something like that that's difficult when you have a "friend of a friend" type thing going on. I'd still ask anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts