Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI my name is cad from san antonio tx
im a member on a few other boards and recently picked up a ramcharger about 2 weeks ago. 500 bucks with no motor but he threw in extra parts and some extra seats and an almost new set of tires in the 31" all terrain flavor


started painting


but heres where i sit right now

k so the motor is stuck in place
AND this is the jumblefu.ck of wires i am left to deal with
and i was starting to sort through them and i realized almost none of this bs matches up it has an aftermarket ignition by jacobs and thats 90% of my problem as i can figure out the rest if i just sit down with it

but heres the pics of what i dont get ... where do these go?
it reads +bat, -bat, ign sw, + coil, - coil, dist, anti theft (ground to bipass), + mag, - mag

distributor and ignition switch wires (what do i hook them to?)

mag wires WTF IS MAG???


this is my distributor what wire do i splice into here?
grey or black? and on which side?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,250 Posts
What year is the RC? That will help a bunch with your questions. That is a dual pickup distributor. Did your RC come with a dual or single pickup distributor? You might need to go get a different one. DODGEBOYS will chime in here sometime today I am sure and offer a wiring diagram. Probably offer to sell you a FSM too. Buy one, they are invaluable.

Chris
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,516 Posts
There are two ways to trigger that ignition system, either by going directly from the distributor's magnetic pickup (hence "Mag") or by having the stock ignition trigger the Jacobs unit ("dist" wire). I prefer (and use) the mag pickup.

So:
+bat, -bat, ....directly to the positive and negative of the battery

ign sw,....a keyed on 12 volt source (use the existing wire that feeds the ballast resistor)
+ coil, - coil....obviously, the coil + and - terminals

dist,.....If you choose to trigger it with the factory ignition, this would go to the original coil - wire from the factory ignition. Tape the purple and orange wires and do not use.

anti theft (ground to bipass)....If you choose to use this feature, you need a small 3-position switch to hide under your dash somewhere. The switch needs to have one momentary postion and 2 uhmmm, regular positions (I can't for the life of me remember what the term is!). If you don't want to use this feature, simply ground that wire.
+ mag, - mag.....These would go to the distributor output wires if you choose this route, but I don't recall which color is which on the distributor. I think I have a diagram at home that shows it. It looks as though you have a dual pickup distributor, you would only need to splice into one of those connectors which I think is the one on the left side in your picture (the smaller connector). If you go this route, be sure to either remove, or adjust further away, the other pickup as it will just complicate the air gap settings. Tape off and do not use the "dist" wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,309 Posts
yup gotta know exact year before anybody can help you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cant believe i left the year out in all of that  ::)


its an 85 4wd  the badges say ram150 not ram100 if that makes a difference
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,516 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:
Hey DODGEBOYS we have a CODE RED!!!

ask the dodgeboys for wiring diagrams, they will help you greatly....
wycowboy said:
What year is the RC? That will help a bunch with your questions. That is a dual pickup distributor. Did your RC come with a dual or single pickup distributor? You might need to go get a different one. DODGEBOYS will chime in here sometime today I am sure and offer a wiring diagram. Probably offer to sell you a FSM too. Buy one, they are invaluable.

Chris
DODGEBOYS said:
yup gotta know exact year before anybody can help you
Seriously guys, if his issue is the Jacobs ignition, year, and factory wiring diagrams won't help. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,315 Posts
cad said:
i cant believe i left the year out in all of that ::)

its an 85 4wd the badges say ram150 not ram100 if that makes a difference
I was going to guess 85-87...based on the leftover smog components and the black engine block. ;)

Depending on what you want to do with the RC, your best bet may be to replace/recreate the stock wiring harness instead of trying to "remove" all of the mods. These old trucks have enough electrical gremlins of their own without adding in a bunch of splices.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,516 Posts
This is where he asks for help. ;)

cad said:
none of this bs matches up it has an aftermarket ignition by jacobs and thats 90% of my problem as i can figure out the rest if i just sit down with it

but heres the pics of what i dont get ... where do these go?
it reads +bat, -bat, ign sw, + coil, - coil, dist, anti theft (ground to bipass), + mag, - mag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
atowinram said:
I was going to guess 85-87...based on the leftover smog components and the black engine block. ;)
the original engine block was blue ... but cracked and water in the oil so wasted ... this one i picked up at the local pick n pull and put new gaskets in it and painted it black with high temp paint

KThaxton said:
There are two ways to trigger that ignition system, either by going directly from the distributor's magnetic pickup (hence "Mag") or by having the stock ignition trigger the Jacobs unit ("dist" wire). I prefer (and use) the mag pickup.

So:

dist,.....If you choose to trigger it with the factory ignition, this would go to the original coil - wire from the factory ignition. Tape the purple and orange wires and do not use.

+ mag, - mag.....These would go to the distributor output wires if you choose this route, but I don't recall which color is which on the distributor. I think I have a diagram at home that shows it. It looks as though you have a dual pickup distributor, you would only need to splice into one of those connectors which I think is the one on the left side in your picture (the smaller connector). If you go this route, be sure to either remove, or adjust further away, the other pickup as it will just complicate the air gap settings. Tape off and do not use the "dist" wire.
OK so if i understand you right i only need one or the other but not both of these choices ...
i dont have a factory coil on this anymore either it was replaced with a jacobs unit as well.

so if im understanding all of this i should use the mag wires ... i HAVE an extra distributor. single pick up. so i probably need to use that one right?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,516 Posts
cad said:
OK so if i understand you right i only need one or the other but not both of these choices ...
i dont have a factory coil on this anymore either it was replaced with a jacobs unit as well.
Correct, again I prefer the Mag pickup wires because this way you completely bypass all the old factory ignition and wiring. However, you should leave the old stuff all in place as a back up.

so if im understanding all of this i should use the mag wires ... i HAVE an extra distributor. single pick up. so i probably need to use that one right?
That's what I would do if I had the choice.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top