Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my Ramcharger deloveloped a new sound this week. Under braking my left front caliper is "floating" way too much causing a horrible grinding noise. I removed the wheel and did more investigating and found that the caliper is only staying on by the reataining clips, Is this way too much travel and how do I fix it? I already installed new pads as they were wore and it still does this. My ramcharger has the dana 44 3500# axle

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
are the wheel bearing loose? did you install new clips? .... my money is on a wheel bearing failure

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheel bearings seem fine this is on a 44 with manual locking hubs I checked those the whole caliper moves in the mount the wheel is like it supposed to be I also put the new clips on

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The caliper is supposed to move

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know its supposed to move but not almost out of the bracket its hitting the inside of the rim when I hit the brakes all the clips are new and all the bracket bolts are also their and tight

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
If the clips are on right, it would take a ton of force to move the caliper outwards. How well does the caliper fit in the slides?

I would suggest posting some pics. It may be something simple that can be spotted.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I had a similar problem on my D250. I cut up an old metallic electrical outlet box and bent up a piece to use as a shim/wedge. Seems to work OK for the life of a set of brake pads... eventually the backer on the pad wears a notch in it. Easy enough to make another shim. A brand new caliper may fit more snug.

If you get really fed up with it, you could probably swap to Chevy brakes.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
we need photos ... the caliper should under braking , move toward the mounting bracket when the rotor is turning it , the shoes are too long to "rotate " then selves out from the mount bracket there should be NO up out force on the caliper , that's why those little tin things do hold them in place , but thats only when your NOT braking ... for it to make a grinding noise , sumtin is real wrong , wore mounting bracket/calipers usually just causes the caliper to "rattle" with brakes off over bumps ....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Do you possibly have the larger rectangular retainer on the opposite direction🤔

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
I've actually had the caliper bracket bolts work loose once on my Power Wagon, Farmer, although on the short shaft side and to the point where one fell out so you may want to check there.  ;D

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
dodge82273 said:
we need photos ... the caliper should under braking , move toward the mounting bracket when the rotor is turning it , the shoes are too long to "rotate " then selves out from the mount bracket there should be NO up out force on the caliper...
I would tend to agree, but in actual practice, both ends of the caliper need to be secured.

I had a caliper bolt 'depart' the wife's Jeep... I must have not tightened it. :-X Sure enough, the caliper pivoted into the wheel on the remaining bolt on every brake application.

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
u2slow said:
I would tend to agree, but in actual practice, both ends of the caliper need to be secured.

I had a caliper bolt 'depart' the wife's Jeep... I must have not tightened it. :-X Sure enough, the caliper pivoted into the wheel on the remaining bolt on every brake application.
Makes one hell of a racket, doesn't it U2? {lol}

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:
I've actually had the caliper bracket bolts work loose once on my Power Wagon, Farmer, although on the short shaft side and to the point where one fell out so you may want to check there. ;D
I had it happen when a Dodge dealer put the brackets on backwards doing a state inspection. ::)

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
SuperBurban said:
I had it happen when a Dodge dealer put the brackets on backwards doing a state inspection. ::)
Right at 22nd Street on 422 at the light in front of the mall, George. Had to hit the brakes again at Lesher Mack. Since I had no idea WTF, limped the truck back using the motor to slow it down it the rest of the way home. 8)

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
If Keith Chrysler Plymouth was still there, you could have stopped in. They had a great parts guy, but I guess that was a few years back, I guess things have changed.  ???

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
SuperBurban said:
If Keith Chrysler Plymouth was still there, you could have stopped in. They had a great parts guy, but I guess that was a few years back, I guess things have changed. ???
One of my classmates works at Ladd-Hanford which is halfway between the mall and Lesher on the same side of the highway but hey... {noclue}

But it didn't take long to find the problem once I got back here. Walked down to the now-also-defunct-after-Blowe's-came-to-town Smith's Hardware with the remaining bolt, matched it up with a high-quality American-made Grade 8 they had in stock in the drawer, stuck it in along with a washer, and it stayed there for about six years or so until the first-of-many parts trucks showed up. :)

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Wasn't the Hanford girl in your class? Keith CP went to hell when Hanford took over. Holy heck, I just looked at Google maps. I bet its been close to 25 years since I have been back to Lebanon. Do they still have the Ducks behind DQ?

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Wasn't the Hanford girl in your class? Keith CP went to hell when Hanford took over. Holy heck, I just looked at Google maps. I bet its been close to 25 years since I have been back to Lebanon. Do they still have the Ducks behind DQ?
Yeah, and we had a Keath daughter as well until they sold the dealership and bailed out of town. LOL

I'm not sure about the ducks. It's been well over twenty five years since I quit eating fake ice cream, George. For some reason, that part of Chestnut Street is missing from the streetview so I'll have to go over there myself and take a look. Plenty of trash from the flood control ditch in Lebanon, however...

https://www.facebook.com/AnnvillePA/ ;D

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
Trash from a town that was a shithole in the 80's, what a surprise. Welfare babies, and crack dealers is all it has going for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.