Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Dodge D150 5.2L Auto - 5 spd man swap soon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All , just bought some LED headlights with drl and turn signal wiring options . Just looking for some info into what wires I should tap into for both options . 89’ D150 Thanks

·
Registered
32,080 Posts
Hello All , just bought some LED headlights with drl and turn signal wiring options . Just looking for some info into what wires I should tap into for both options . 89’ D150 Thanks
follow link to my site and then use the contact info to email me , as the 3 headlight system diagrams are to Large to post on here [ if l made them small enuf to post on here you would not be able to read them ]

Reactions: JED72

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Does your truck have DRLs from the factory? I forget if they came in for 89 or 90.

Anyway, I couldn't get my basic LED headlights to work properly until I unplugged the DRL module. Supposing your LEDs have the DRL built-in, you may have to do the same.

Reactions: JED72

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
follow link to my site and then use the contact info to email me , as the 3 headlight system diagrams are to Large to post on here [ if l made them small enuf to post on here you would not be able to read them ]

I'm going to join your site (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your truck have DRLs from the factory? I forget if they came in for 89 or 90.

Anyway, I couldn't get my basic LED headlights to work properly until I unplugged the DRL module. Supposing your LEDs have the DRL built-in, you may have to do the same.
No module just parking lights

·
Registered
389 Posts
We just did this on my son's 1990 D150 in the last last month or two.

The LEDs he bought came with a hanging wires for the driving lights/turn signals and we just tested them by using one of the t-tap wire splice connectors and tried the supply wires to the turn signals/parking lights down below the headlights and then spliced into them. We weren't sure which wire would work for the turn signal or parking lights, but it was quick and easy to splice in and check. Once we knew which ones worked for one side, the other side took just a few minutes.

I can try to post a pic of the wiring later when he gets home. I want to re-splice and get rid of those crap t-tap connectors.

He loves it and drives with the parking lights on all the time, but leaves them on a lot. These are the parking lights, I don't remember what happens when he uses his turn signals. I think the outside arrows blink.

Automotive parking light Sky Car Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The LEDs he bought came with a hanging wires for the driving lights/turn signals and we just tested them by using one of the t-tap wire splice connectors and tried the supply wires to the turn signals/parking lights down below the headlights and then spliced into them. We weren't sure which wire would work for the turn signal or parking lights, but it was quick and easy to splice in and check. Once we knew which ones worked for one side, the other side took just a few minutes.

I can try to post a pic of the wiring later when he gets home. I want to re-splice and get rid of those crap t-tap connectors.

He loves it and drives with the parking lights on all the time, but leaves them on a lot. These are the parking lights, I don't remember what happens when he uses his turn signals. I think the outside arrows blink.

View attachment 630441
They look great (y) any issues with the turn signals and marker lights while headlight are on ?

·
Registered
389 Posts
They look great (y) any issues with the turn signals and marker lights while headlight are on ?
Nope, they work as designed. There are only two wires for the parking lights/turn signals (not including the ground wire), and only two extra wires on the LEDs. So we tried each, and got it backwards the first time so did a quick switch. I don't like the little t-tap splice connectors, but they make checking it out quick and easy.

He loves it.

·
Registered
32,080 Posts
still waiting on an email [ like l said it's below ]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, they work as designed. There are only two wires for the parking lights/turn signals (not including the ground wire), and only two extra wires on the LEDs. So we tried each, and got it backwards the first time so did a quick switch. I don't like the little t-tap splice connectors, but they make checking it out quick and easy.

He loves it.
I can't seem to get the turn signals working even traced the turn signal wiring ( green ) and tapped into it but no luck . The DRL's are working fine though , 1 out of 2 lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

View attachment 630441

View attachment 630441
If you could send me a pic of the wiring connection that sure would be appreciated

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you could send me a pic of the wiring connection that sure would be appreciated
My son is at school, and we ended up going back to the stock headlights, but I think the t-tap connectors are probably still there. I'll take a peek when he gets home and see if I can snap a few pics.

·
Registered
32,080 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier ,i went and bought a factory 1989 dodge repair manual , found out the green wire is for the turn signals

l had the wiring diagrams you needed so didn't hafta buy the FSM and besides l SELL all the years of the dodge factory service manuals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts