Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the heck is it? from what I've read, it has something to do with emissions, a hose from the ex manifold, an air pump, and the cat.? I have a spot for a hose on my manifold, but there's nothing there. should there be?

another question; how 'simple' can my engine get? is there a way, or is it even a good idea, to have no(or at least minimal) sensors, computers, etc... and to just have a carb, motor, and exhaust? it seems to me that there would be more power and things would be easier to tune/tweak, but I know more about rotary's and four bangers than big v8's

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
'Lean Burn' refers to the entire ignition, it was an early computerized ignition for carb'd vehicles, and yes, an attempt at making lower emissions.

Your local Dodge dealer probably still sells a standard electronic ignition conversion kit, which will replace the 10 miles of wires, vacuum hoses, and lean burn computer. HOWEVER, if you have emissions testing in your area, you cannot perform this conversion and still pass emissions :(

-SM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope, no emmissions tests. I forgot to look for the computer last night when I was at home, but I know that there is a place for a larger hose to connect to the exhaust manifold, althogh nothing is connected.

I've read that these trucks have good ignition systems, but would replacing the lean burn with an msd style ignition sort of bypass that whole emmissions thing?

BTW, I think I'm replacing the 2 barrel holley(stock) with a 4 barrel carb and man. from a 360 this weekend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts