Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am currently trying to repack my front leaf springs on my 88 w-150 with a set of springs i took of another 87 w-150.
Im planning on chopping the ends off the longest spring (top one) out of my new leaf pack and sandwiching it just under the top spring of my new leaf pack.  Im not really looking for any major lift or anything just a inch or so of leveling since the front was starting to sag pretty bad. 

I got the driver side leaf pack off with no problem at all.

But when i try to take off the passenger side front leaf spring i got everything loose and pulled apart except for the front bolt.  I can get it to turn but it just spins freely it seems inside the bushing.

is the best approach to just chop the ends off and drill out the bolt enough to get the spring pack to slide through the mount or is there a better way.

and while i am at it is there anything i can do do make the ride any softer or is that not very possible with leaf springs.

·
Vendor
11,796 Posts
deathrowdave said:
Right angle grinder , go between the hanger and spring both sides cut the bolt into. Drop the spring install new bushing and bolt
Agreed
Also a Sawzall works if you do not have a grinder with a cut off wheel.
Jim

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep you have to cut the bolt INSIDE the tabs of the hanger allow the spring to drop out . bolt is rusted to the inner sleeve , rubber is shot that held the sleeve , whole thing is spinning inside rubber . tip , when you cut the additional spring leaf , bevel the cut edge so it does not cut/wear into spring above it , leave it as long as you can to support the very ends of the upper main leaf .

Reactions: Mighty Quinn
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.