Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casting number on the 360 block in my '73 W200 crew is 3418496 6 360. Color is NOT Mopar Blue, like my '76 RC's 318, it is orange, and does not appear to be repainted. Per the FAQ here, this casting# is for years 1971-74. I've been told that 72 on would only be Mopar Blue. Just curious if both colors were used on small blocks in the early '70's.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
To my knowledge 360s were never painted orange or red....... Just blue then later black. Orange & red disappeared around 71-72.

Bucky

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
As far as I know, '72 up is all blue until they went with black around the early '80s.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may try to scrape an area on the block to see if I can tell if the engine was repainted then. Everything, oil pan, block, heads, valve covers, intake is this color. I was just curious, as I've often heard that '72 up was only Mopar Blue.

Is there a casting date on these blocks anywhere?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Yeah, the casting date will be on the passenger side of the block, usually right up near the head mounting surface, just behind the mount ears.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got time to check other side of the block. Date is 02-21-1973. Can't tell that the block has been repainted, but who knows; the PO might have pulled it for some reason and painted it before stuffing it back, but he did not mention it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Looks like 2-21-76 to me.  Either way, a lot can happen to an engine in 40 years.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed 360's was the start of the blue ( no orange) ' 73 would be blue . later smog motors were black .

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First picture it looked like a 76 to me, too, but 2nd picture I took showed it WAS a 73 cast date.

No telling what the PO did. He was a machinist by trade, and definitely was an interesting fellow. After he bought this truck off the original owners in South Dakota in the mid '70's, he moved to Wyoming. While there, he built a Holmes 440-style wrecker boom, stuck it in the bed, and did a side business of towing, including pulling dead participants off the field of play in demolition derbies. When he moved to AZ, he said he still used it for several years to tow vehicles with. This 360 may have already been rebuilt, though he did not mention it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.