Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising around the boards, and thought I'd drop by the Utah chapter. Hope I'm not intruding...

I lived out there in Pleasant Grove from age 8 to age 18, and still consider the valley my stomping grounds. Spent a lot of Saturdays at Widowmaker (point of the mountain) watching the hill climbs and hang gliders. Water skied all over Deer Creek, and had my share of Utah Lake enemas. Man, I even rode on the Heber Creeper 4 times on school field trips. Park City, Sundance, hunting in the Uinta's, spending whole summers in Zion and Bryce Canyons. Climbed to the top of Timpanogas more times than I can remember, carrying an inner tube to ride down the glacier on the back side. Played soccer in every friggin town from American Fork to Spanish Fork, and even a few times in Riverton. St. George, Cedar City, Green River, Payson, Provo, Ogden, Logan; I know at least one person in every one of those towns. My favorite family outing was the Sunday trip to the Kennecott Copper Mine... ENOUGH!

That was a long time ago. I was just reminiscing and felt like spilling my guts to the folks that would understand where I was coming from, that's all. Who knows, maybe when my youngest graduates from high school, I'll head on back, find a nice place somewhere, and then take Trenton up on that Roadrunner Ride. ;D

For now, I'm stuck in the cultural concrete melting pot. Just felt like saying hi, and wanted to remind you guys just how good you have it. :)

Mike

·
29,449 Posts
Cool! Your not intruding.
I grew up in Riverton and moved to Heber when I got married. I've been up here for about 8 years and I still have never been on the Heber Creeper!
Have you been back here lately? Things have changed. They quit doing the Widowmaker Hill climbs 10-15 years ago! Would you beleive there are houses at the bottom (where the motorcycles started) AND now there are some on top!!!!! But finally, they brought the hill climbs back! It will be held in Morgan in 2 weeks, I can't wait.
I for one love it here! I would never move. We've got it all (except an ocean) red rock desert like no other place on earth, awsome mountains close (and some far) to/from the city, sand dunes etc.
I get disgusted when I talk to people that have lived here their whole life and have never been to southern Utah, except they've been to St. George (yeehaw).
You'll have to come back and do a Moab trip!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Since we're all "confessing"... I actually grew up in an itty-bitty town village in Wyoming. Then moved to Rock Springs to go to school for 2 years, then transfered to USU to finish. I guess I'm still here 'cause thats where the job ended up being.

mopar4x said:
Who knows, maybe when my youngest graduates from high school, I'll head on back, find a nice place somewhere, and then take Trenton up on that Roadrunner Ride. ;D
Anytime Mike, you don't even have to move back for that ride. Stop by if you're ever back visting. {cool} But then you'll owe me a ride in your hot rod RC. 8)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last 2 times I was there were both to Zion Canyon, or rather Springdale, the little town at the south entrance. My sister and her family live there. My parents sold their home in P.G. in 1997 and moved to Idaho, so that was the last time I was in that area. Another sister of mine and her clan live in Riverton though, and have since 1988 or so. Her husband is a regional V.P. for Larry H. Miller, and tells me all the time that if I'd just come visit, he'd take me courtside to a Jazz game and introduce me to the players. The wonders of the perks of executive management. ::) Too bad the NBA isn't my bag...

No more Widowmaker?! Man, I guess it has been a long, long time since I spent enough time there to notice. Anyone know that little bump on the side of the mountain in Pleasant Grove called Molly's Nipple? Probably just a local thing, but it's very visible from I-15 when you're driving passed that place. It looks like a little mound that every bike and 4x has tried to climb for 100 years or so. It's about 100 feet long on the mountain called Mohagany, right at the foot of Mount Timpanogas. It was our mini Widowmaker back then. We used to skeak up there late when the big people were up there having a keg fire, and pretend to be seniors. We ran from the sheriffs more than I like to admit. :-[ Well, that's the place where I learned to wheel in everything from a '76 Pinto to an '85 Dodge Ram. It's also the reason why 4x4's are just natural to me, even though I now live closer to San Fransisco than any mountain, let alone a place to wheel. It's hours in either direction so I just stick to pounding pavement, but I've always owned a 4x4 of some sort ever since. :-\

You know it TV. There will come a day when we're tripping through your neck of the woods on our way to Idaho, and I wouldn't go by without stopping by. :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
So you're a Utah native, eh? Right on. Good to hear from you. {cool}. I grew up in South Jordan in the Salt Lake valley until I was 19 when my family moved down to Sanpete Valley in 1993. I decided to go to school at Snow College and when I finished there, came up to Logan to continue my education. Been between here and Sanpete ever since (with the exception of some regretable time spent back in SLC, [shudder!]). A very wise man once told me that once you leave, you can never really go home.(No, I don't think he meant the home you grew up in, that's obvious, he meant your home town). I believe that is true to some extent. However, that doesn't mean you have to give up on your entire home state. I think you will always have a home here somewhere. So with that in mind, take care of yourself until the day you return. {cool}

·
29,449 Posts
McGuyver said:
So you're a Utah native, eh? Right on. Good to hear from you. {cool}. I grew up in South Jordan in the Salt Lake valley until I was 19 when my family moved down to Sanpete Valley in 1993. I decided to go to school at Snow College and when I finished there, came up to Logan to continue my education. Been between here and Sanpete ever since (with the exception of some regretable time spent back in SLC, [shudder!]). A very wise man once told me that once you leave, you can never really go home.(No, I don't think he meant the home you grew up in, that's obvious, he meant your home town). I believe that is true to some extent. However, that doesn't mean you have to give up on your entire home state. I think you will always have a home here somewhere. So with that in mind, take care of yourself until the day you return. {cool}
Holy cow! South Jordan?
Did you go to Bingham High?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Yes I did, Class of `92. Good `ol Bingham miners. {cool}

Actually, I'd be perfectly happy to never return to that town at all. Too wierd going back to where I grew up. There's a lot of people there I'd just as soon puch in the face as say hello to. ;D J/K, they're not all that bad, there's a few good memories there too. But like I said, just too wierd going back. You can never go home. :-\

·
29,449 Posts
Yup, we went to school together, can you believe it? Class of '90.
I found your mug in the 90 yearbook last night.
Look at page 148 of the 90 yearbook for my mullet laden mug.
I had a great time at Bingham, I had lots of fun and most people were pretty cool, but yeah, us Riverton guys were a lot cooler than the South Jordan guys. ;D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
KThaxton said:
Yup, we went to school together, can you believe it? Class of '90.
I found your mug in the 90 yearbook last night.
Look at page 148 of the 90 yearbook for my mullet laden mug.
I had a great time at Bingham, I had lots of fun and most people were pretty cool, but yeah, us Riverton guys were a lot cooler than the South Jordan guys. ;D
Oh yikes! I probably looked like a pre-pubescent in the `90 year book. Unfortunately I never got one for any of my high school years. Wow, 1990! That's been a looong time. I'm having trouble right now even remembering my sophmore year. Let's see, that would have been when I bought my first car, started learning about auto mechanics (took some classes from the auto shop) and before I grew my hair out (I still looked like a nerd until I was a junior. :-[ ). Okay, enough of that, I'm going to give myself bad dreams. ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts