Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a post(can't remember which one) and was told Dodge owners have to have their kickdown linkage hooked up or their tranny will get screwed up? Is this true? 'Cause if it is, then I'm in biiiig trouble.....
I have had mine disconnected since I started to mess with the original Holley. Threw that piece in the trash after it set my baby aflame, and almost sent me to meet God a couple generations early. Got the Eddy off of my dad's Firebird, and rebuilt it, and threw it on, but still haven't hooked the linkage back up. Anyone got a diagram on how to hook it all up? I got an adapter piece, but I'm clueless as to how to hook it all up. Please help.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah....You definately need that.....Connect it to your carb, then it hooks up to the drivers side of the tranny to a little lever. Slide it in and tighten down the set screw. Then make your adjustments

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hmmm..... Having the tranny slam into second at 40mph can't be good for it, your engine, or your gas mileage. ::) The kickdown is a vital piece on a 727. It opens/closes the tranny's throttle valve in direct proportion to the position of the butterflies, so it knows how much gas you're giving it. That means the difference between soft, early shifts when you drive granny style, and firm, late shifts when you floor it. It also, as the name implies, kicks it back down to second when you floor it to pass. By not having that linkage there for 9 months, you put probably 10 years worth of wear on the tranny.
Matt {peace}

·
Registered
27 Posts
Boy everybody likes to rag on me about this, but trans works just like normal 2nd gear hits at about 20-25mph and 3rd kicks in at about 35-40ish just like it did when that linkage was there. Mabey the fact that this 727 is out of a 79 J20 makes it different, I dont know.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Aha! You didn't say it was a non-Dodge tranny. It isn't a 727 then. The 727 needs the linkage to work.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Without the linkage on a 727 you will ruin it. I know it's been done on two different rigs. Thanks to Jamie and a couple others I now have mine fixed right. Don't want to get another tranny fixed.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I ruined several 727's a long time ago because the linkage wasn't hooked up properly. So I know if it ain't hooked up, it will cause bad things.

There are several posts about hooking it up an adjusting it...and several differing opinions on how to do it. If you want to know how the fsm says to do it, IM me and I will tell you. It's real easy.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Get a lokar kickdown cable from summit.They are around 35 bucks and are super simple to hook up.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
sorry to bring this post back but does the a518 tranny have a kickdown cable? lately my truck hasn't been downshifting when i floor it and i was wondering if this could be the problem.

thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
60,716 Posts
jimbo said:
sorry to bring this post back but does the a518 tranny have a kickdown cable? lately my truck hasn't been downshifting when i floor it and i was wondering if this could be the problem.

thanks for any info
Yes, it has a cable. Not hard to adjust, I just don't remember right off, try a google search, thats how I found it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts