Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What/how do you set the kickdown linkage adjustment?  My FSM does not seem to be very clear about how to set it. 

·
Registered
829 Posts
There's a slot in the kickdown linkage at the carb end. With the throttle at hot idle position(choke wide open) adjust the length of the kickdown rod so that the rear end of the slot just touches the throttle lever stud as you lightly hold forward on the rod. The length adjustment for the linkage is usually located on the lower end, near the transmission. This assumes that the internal adjustment for the throttle valve linkage stop was set correctly. With a light throttle opening on a level street, the transmission should normally be upshifted into drive by about 25 miles an hour.Take a test drive, if it seems to shift too early, lengthen the rod a bit. If it's a too late shifting up, shorten the rod a little.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info Mike, I finally got under it and just started "tryin" this and that. After the first adjustment made it worse (harsh upshift mainly 2-3) I adjusted the other way and found that it shifted too soon and soft for my likeing. Anyhow, I like the feel and shift points now. And it does cruise at 25 in 3rd drive.

I don't think this linkage is actually called a kickdown linkage, probably the throttle pressure linkage or something.

Anyways, its working nicely now. Wish I had does this years ago. I'm sure the 9 1/4 is happy about this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts