Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up keyless entry in my 87 RC and it works like it should except for one thing. The driver's side lock goes up anjd down with full power. The Pas side on the other hand just barely jerks, not enough to move it at all. I think this is wired up right (90%) The only thing I was thinking is the possibility of the switch and motor side of the reelays being reversed but I don't thim the locks would work at all if this was the case. The locks do work ful power on both side when I hit the actual swiches though. Any ideas?

thanks
Mike

·
7,995 Posts
Are you getting a full 12 volts to pick the relay when you use your fob? Maybe when you wired in the remote control asm you didn't get on a good power source? Put your hand on the relay when you activate the fob and then again when you activate the door lock switch...does the relay pick with the same force or feeling with both methods? Check to make sure you can push down and pull up on the door lock button easily on both sides...you may have a bind in the lock mechanism in the pass door that is slowing down the solenoid/lock motor. Good grounds? Supply an additional one to the pass door just for test purposes.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well upon closer inspection I thgink I may have wired in the wrong place. I wired it in behind the glove box and actually the pass side is not working at all on the keyless. This is really not a big deal as I am a lone passenger 99 % of the time. I think there is a place in the drivers side I was supposed to cut in.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
When I wired the keyless on my 85 (with '87 doors) I cut into the harness in the same place you did. It doesn't matter where along the harness you make the connections, but you have to make them right. If you connect the relay pack backwards (by reversing the 87a & 30 connections), you'll have a dead short when you click the remote because both leads from the switch are grounded at rest. (You do have a relay pack, right? 2 relays with 7 wires coming out?) If you only used one relay, it's not set up right. My guess is that you have a frayed/broken line to the pass. motor, probably in the door jamb, or the linkage is bound up. Does it work with the buttons? [Duh, I guess I should have read the whole thing.. ::) ] Ok, at this point, it sounds like you may have something wired wrong. Double-check to make sure you have the "Switch" leads (87a) going to the wires coming from the driver's side of the harness, and the "Motor" (30) leads going to the wires coming from the passenger side. Technically if these connections are backwards it should blow the relay feed fuse instantly when you hit the remote, but if you have it overfused, or no fuse (reeeealy bad idea) the motors could be getting just enough juice out of it to move.

Matt {peace}

Attachments

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iactually got that diagram from you a couplke of months ago. ( Thank again!) I metered out the wires coming in and out, and the switch side is the side that gets 12 volts with the door lock switch pressed. I did reverse these as I said I might have wrong and did blow the fuse I have running the relays. This is what should happen. I just can't figure why one side is working and the other isn't.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Working from my memory here, I believe you tapped into the wrong door lock wire. I did the same thing when I hooked up keyless entry in my 90 RC. I did my connection behind the glove box too and used the wrong wire. Try the other one.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ramtuff said:
Working from my memory here, I believe you tapped into the wrong door lock wire. I did the same thing when I hooked up keyless entry in my 90 RC. I did my connection behind the glove box too and used the wrong wire. Try the other one.
You are correct sir! There are four wires back there (two pink two orange) on is fed from the driver's and on is fed from the passenger side. I tapped into the pass side when you are suposed to tap into the drivers side. I actually remember Matt (TaZMaNiaK) telling me this when I first started this project 4 months ago, I just forgot. Anyway I tapped into these wires and it works great now Thaks for all the help everyone ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Cool deal. Glad you got it figured out. {cool}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts