Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I broke down and bought one for , well I wont say it lol. Buy I had to change my oil after 800 miles because the oil looked like crap. Also I run propane on my RC so there is almost no carbon build up. It was just a crappy filter. I have gone 4000 miles before on oil changes with the propane and it still lookes great!. Now this was just an experement, But I still change my oil every 1500 miles. Cheepest and best thing you can do for them. So,

DONT BUY K&N OIL FILTERS!

Camoram

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
nate, is it possible you just got a bad filter out of a batch or that the propane is doing something to it? i have used 3 different k and n oil filters and they have all been great.

although like oyu refused to say, they are a bit spendy

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
Mobile One filters are pricey but one of the best filters you can buy. That is all I get for my daily drivers.
to give you an idea for cost sam, the k and n's i have bought have been the same exact price as the mobile 1's

eric

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i use purolators. there was a link posted in the tech board i believe, in the thread about fram filters, reviewing a variety of filters. mobile 1, purolator, and wix were the top 3 if i recall (not in that order) and unlike a mobile 1, a purolator filter is only 3 bucks.

Duane

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just wondering, why did you come to the conclusion the filter was bad? And you change at 1500 miles? Wish I had the extra funds. Do you at least run that 1500 mile oil thru your mower or something? *laughs

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I have used nothing but K&N in both min and my wifes trucks for over two years now and I have never had any problems with them. I normally pay around $10 each but I find them worth it. I have opened up my engine and found oil at the top which tells me that they do what they say they do. As far as the rest goes I think it's just a matter of opintion Just like anything else. I have even Ran the same oil filter for over 3K and it was still Good when I pulled it out. Now like what Nate said I don't nornmally do that but I just honestly didn't have the money to replace it. I did change the oil Just not the filter.

Scott

·
Registered
116 Posts
I run Amsoil filters (and oil) in everything I own. Works great last long time. The current best bang for your buck is STP filters. They are the exact same as the Bosch and only a slight difference in the filter material from the Mobil 1 filters (all three are made by the same company). The best part is STP filters can be bought from any Autozone for about $3. I read a really big review on lots of filters on the web somewhere a while back. WIX and Hastings are also very good filters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's my opinion on the matter. I consider Fram to be superoir. It has that really cool rubberized bottom that you can get a handle on with your bare hands when it comes time to change it. That alone sets it above the rest for me. As far as my oil it looks just like it does with any other oil filters i'v tried, however i have not tried the K/N yet. when i get the balls to drop 10 bucks on one i will.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Here's my opinion on the matter. I consider Fram to be superoir. It has that really cool rubberized bottom that you can get a handle on with your bare hands when it comes time to change it. That alone sets it above the rest for me. As far as my oil it looks just like it does with any other oil filters i'v tried, however i have not tried the K/N yet. when i get the balls to drop 10 bucks on one i will.

Before you go an decide to continue using the Fram filters, take a gander at these links...it might make you think twice. I use Wix filters myself.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/techtips/showarticle.asp?articleid=2

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
sweet86 said:

Because it has the cool rubberized coating doesnt make it a better filter. That rubber stuff is just a sales tactic. Fram is by far the worst filters made. What sucks even more is theymake filters for alot of other people.

I use either Wix or Purolator PureOne filters. I run Mobil 1 synthetic and go 15K between oil changes. No problems yet. I also drive all highway miles with very little stop and go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is what that first link had to say about the Amsoil Filters:

This filter is well constructed and has a little more surface are than the Mobil 1 unit. Cost reflects it, though, based on the suggested price (on their web site). Being or purchasing through a distributor will get you the retail price shown here. There was nothing in this filter that stood out as a possible quality or filtration issue. If you are looking for maximum filtration/flow and quality in the stock size, this is probably your best choice (for oversized, see below).

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
The first oil change I did after buying the RC I used 4x4 & SUV full synthetic and a K&N filter. For the price I wasn't exactly pleased with it, although I do like the idea of a 1" nut on the end, made it easier to get the filter on and off with my big hands in the cramped quarters. The second time around I ran the same oil + Lucas additive and a Fram with the rubber coating on the bottom. Personally I like the 4x4 full sythetic, but again I just didn't feel as though the Fram was a superior filter. This time around I am going to try a NAPA Gold and I am giving Royal Purple synthetic a try (will be changing the earl in a couple weeks). Just my opinion, and no there wasn't anything specific I found that I didn't like, I just feel as though they are not "superior" to all others. As a side note, my old man has been driving GM's since he got his license (almost 37 years) and he swears by AC Delco filters.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
RED90RC said:
The first oil change I did after buying the RC I used 4x4 & SUV full synthetic and a K&N filter. For the price I wasn't exactly pleased with it, although I do like the idea of a 1" nut on the end, made it easier to get the filter on and off with my big hands in the cramped quarters. The second time around I ran the same oil + Lucas additive and a Fram with the rubber coating on the bottom. Personally I like the 4x4 full sythetic, but again I just didn't feel as though the Fram was a superior filter. This time around I am going to try a NAPA Gold and I am giving Royal Purple synthetic a try (will be changing the earl in a couple weeks). Just my opinion, and no there wasn't anything specific I found that I didn't like, I just feel as though they are not "superior" to all others. As a side note, my old man has been driving GM's since he got his license (almost 37 years) and he swears by AC Delco filters.
AC Delco filters are in the same boat as Mopar filters...you never know who made them. I'll stay with Wix, at least I don't feel I am playing the lottery :) Napa Gold filters are made by Wix (if I am not mistaken), and a good filter. I know a lot of people that love Royal Purple too, just check out Mountain Goat's Review if you haven't already.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I did read the review, that is why I decided to try it this time around. I need to do the diffs too so I may be looking to use their gear oil too soon. By the way, what weight should I be using in the stock D44 and 9.25??

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
RED90RC said:
I did read the review, that is why I decided to try it this time around. I need to do the diffs too so I may be looking to use their gear oil too soon. By the way, what weight should I be using in the stock D44 and 9.25??
Here you go, straight from the royal purple site: http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts