Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering guys if my 78’ Power Wagon W200 is true...it has the Emblem on both front fenders & has the 360ci (5.9 litre) underneath the hood with a 4spd Manual in the floor all while sitting on a 3/4 ton frame...has the 6 1/2ft Utiline bed oddly & the wheels are 8 lug bp

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Everything you say, can come together, and not that uncommon. We would have to see pictures, to say if anything is amiss, but right now my money is on it being close, if not fully stock.Likely has 16" tires, instead of the 16.5" stock wheels & tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaah ok man lol yeah it’s still got the 16” on front & rear...I tried uploading a few pictures of it on here but for some reason it’s not letting me because their not mpeg or what the administration allows...tbh though I thought it might’ve been something just put together with different yrs of parts & etc. judging by the fact I’ve looked everywhere online & can’t find a photo of a 78’ Power Wagon W200 🤷‍♂️ either their not so many pics of these online or not many of these around anymore lol...but I definitely do appreciate the information given buddy..any bit helps a lot...

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Utilines are rare in general. W200, just means it is a 3/4 ton. In general, it will have an 8 lug Dana 44 front axle, and a D60 rear axle. The only thing that changed much from 72 to 80, is the grill. And 77 and 78 use the same grill, just one year has yellow turn signals, and the other uses clear. So finding a pic of a single year can be tough.

Except for my vans, and the RC, all my trucks are 3/4 tons. 3-77's, a 75, and a 90, oh and a 85 1 ton. It is easy to have so many, because they all use the same brake, suspension, driveline, and a ton of other parts that are the same.

Oh, yea welcome to RCC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh ok lol I kinda figured the W200’s we’re getting hard to find too..but didn’t know that the utiline sub models were...was aware of the W200 being a 3/4 ton.. just like the W150 is a 1/2 ton & W300=1ton I’ve had two power wagons in the last 6 years...but unfortunately ended up selling them 😔 the first one was a 79’ Lil Red with a 318 4spd & has the front end 4wd out of a 77’ Dodge installed..all time 4wd..worked quite well...the 2nd one I had bought two years later..was a 78’ Midnight Express with the Sweptline 8ft bed Conv. Can also 4spd with all time 4wd sitting up on 33x12x65 Mickey Thompson’s

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
There is suposed to be 8 lugnuts to go with the 8 lugs.  ;)

The axles look right for a 70's 3/4 ton. Those rims look a little shallow. Do you get rubbing when you turn hard right?

The front end says 1980. but it also looks like the front clip was replaced, and repainted.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,130 Posts
That's a '79. It has the flat hood and grille with nonpainted center. It has the standard round lights. The 1980 grille has the blacked out center. It also has the '79 emblems on the fender. '78 had that style also but not very common. '77/'78 grilles have the vertical tombstone turn signals standing next to the headlights. '79 had the turn signals under the headlights like the '72 - '76 trucks do.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
You are right, trying to do several things at the same time.  {hammer}  My bad.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,130 Posts
SuperBurban said:
You are right, trying to do several things at the same time. {hammer} My bad.
It's alllll good buddy! {beer}

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys..I appreciate you guys giving me some new info on these beauties..The couple of lugs that are missing isn’t from me I assure ya guys lol I literately just got this a couple days ago & have busy everyday working on 3rd shift just haven’t honestly had the time to tinker with her just yet...

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
By looking at the side step length on the picture above, I'd guess that is an 8' Utiline bed (not 6 1/2').
Even less common than the shorty.  There was a 9' Utiline available in the 60's too.

Heads up though, while many 8' beds are a bit longer inside dimension, these are not.  The tailgate won't quite close on some 8' nominal plywood and other sheet goods.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen an 8 ft. step side (utiline)... learn something new everyday.  They definitely are rare.  At first glance I thought it could only be a 1/2 ton being a step side but i kept reading on. Based on the picture I agree the step looks much longer and therefore is an 8 footer as is described.

Neil

·
Super Moderator
7,130 Posts
Check the AMP gauge for melting if it's the original gauge plus check the condition of the main wire junction on the firewall for wire melting. Other than that listen for the typical engine noises like lifter ticking, bearing knocks, blue or white smoke out the back, the firmness of the transmission shits between gears and off the line slippage. The rad support is also known for rust where the mounts are. Look at the frame for heavy scaling and rotted cab mounts underneath. Check around windshield for water leaks as all 70's trucks from Ford, Chevy and Dodge rotted out in these areas. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.