Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I have a slightly converted 88 RC. "Computers bad, yes, bad". The engine has been rebuilt. I want to add headers when this motor dies, but my heads have the smog ports on them. Does anyone have a sloid explanation of what year these may have been? And, do I have to find older heads to finish the conversion?

G

·
Actually, the air injection ports go all the way back to 1973 on LA heads, with their use being expanded to larger vehicles as emissions restrictions tightened. They used them til the Magnums arrived. You can still use the heads with headers. Just tap the holes and plug them.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I have the smog ports on my truck with headers, you don't need to get new heads

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kewl, thanks! Now I just need to find a set and do the work. I wasn't sure how this was overcome. I did cap the ports on the back of the manifolds with the flanges, just had a local shop weld them up until I get all the pieces to finish the conversion.

gen1dak said:
Actually, the air injection ports go all the way back to 1973 on LA heads, with their use being expanded to larger vehicles as emissions restrictions tightened. They used them til the Magnums arrived. You can still use the heads with headers. Just tap the holes and plug them.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
1/4 tap and some set screwes will take care of them also make shure to use quality gaskets which will also cover the holes ;D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Go easy w/ that 1/4" tap, by the way. When I did mine, the set screws afterwards were a little too loose for comfort on the first few I tapped. I later used a tapered tap and went a little less deep, leaving more for the set screws to bite. That was just me, though, your experience may vary. It could have just as well been that particular set screw's fault.
So, yes, you can use you present heads with the replacement block. Check out Dan's Auto Service, I picked up a complete 360 (which needed a full rebuild) for $150 1 1/2 yrs ago. He practicaly gave me a running 727 last fall, cause it was left out without a dipstick tube, getting water in the pan. Hey it's AZ, just how much water ya think got in there? Yeah, that's right......zero.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts