Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Just out of curiosity, how would Ford stuff work in Dodge?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Cruisin_RC 
#1 ·
Not that this is likely to ever happen, but I have a 390 FE Ford motor with a C6 and whatever transfer case with the front driveshaft on the wrong side. How difficult would it be to make this fit into my 87 Ramcharger? To make it fit into the 84 F-150 I junked I had to have my uncle fab up some new motor mounts to make it fit the frame, and beat the firewall back a little bit.

I'm sure I could throw my NP208 onto the C6 easy enough, but what about the rest. How do you guys get the 440s to fit? There seems to be enough room in the engine bay.

This is just a thought I had, and I doubt it'll ever happen, but I just wanted some ideas/opinions/advice. Thanks!

#2 ·
well gettin the motor and tranny to fit would be like gettin any motor and tranny to fit. proper mounts, wiring, linkage, etc will all need to me made. to use the ford tcase, you will need a ford front axle, and all the stuff to make it fit into a dodge, like driveshafts, brake lines, steering, etc.

Duane

#3 ·
Why?

#5 ·
i think he means "why would you even think about disgracing a Dodge with Ferd parts", although i could be wrong.

G
#7 ·
Ford used 208's in their half tons in the early 80s, just like Dodge. Shouldn't be too hard to get a Dodge 208 to match up to the C6.

My opinion, the FE is a great motor, but it's still just a 390. If you had the 428 CJ it might be worth the time and money, but why go to all that trouble and expense to gain 30 ci over a 360 that would drop right in?

#8 ·
loosewheelbob said:
i think he means "why would you even think about disgracing a Dodge with Ferd parts", although i could be wrong.
Precisely. ;D

#13 ·
I prefer not to cross breed them, but I cut some slack with the Ford parts.. I've robbed many a Ford for the spare tire before; and a friend was given a rebuild kit for a 351M.. and not having any Ford motors; adapted the parts to fit his 360.
If you were talking about a small block Che... (don't even like that word).. I draw the line there.. No excuse to install those.. those are for dead weight and boat anchors.
Aaron

#14 ·
i have a 514 ford and a C-6 that needs a home, i also have a 87 dodge that leaks oil and has no power, hmm seems like a good idea to me. I wouldnt mind the 725 horsepower in a dodge

#16 ·
Same thing about street rods with a Ford body, makes me kind of ill to see a Shovie small block under the hood. But that's a show car, not a daily driver, or climber, hehe. Go for it!,,,,Cruisin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.