Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been in there longer than it should be, I'll admit that. But I figure that at the rate that it runs out the bottom and I put more in the top I probably replace everything in there in a coupla months ;D. Really though, I'm not sure how long it's been in t here, 6-8 months, but I didn't keep a log book then so I don't know how many miles.

It came out real real dark, and viscous. It smells almost sweet, like... hmm... like a sweet rum. What do you think?

Either way I'm going to flush it, drain it, drop the pan, and switch to Synthetic or Synthetic blend next weekend. I did this change to put in some fresh stuff to pick up as much of the old stuff as possible before I flush it all out.

Derek

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
uhh... :-X

You may want to flush it twice. Put some stuff, flush once, put some new (cheap store brand) oil in, run around the block, flush again, put in the good oil. Depending on just how long it's been, you may want to lather, rinse, repeat a few times until you put honey in, get honey out.

Or you could do what I would do and flush it once, and do it again the next time. Marvel Mystery Oil wouldn't hurt...add a quart instead of the last quart of oil... it's a thin oil with some good detergent properties, not some snake oil with additives...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah. Flush it to get that nasty shit out. It may take awhile..But its worth it. Take off your valve covers and clean them up in side. do the same with the pan like you said.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i run synthetic 10w30 in my 87 cherokee and even with 220000 miles i still get 40+ lbs of oil pressure.. but yeah clean out the pan if your going to do it right and pull the valve covers also and make sure you dont have that nasty build up that i ahve seen in some motors flush it once or twice and jsut some cheap ass oil will do but when you do the final change get a good quality name brand oil like mobil one or castrol syntec. i have ran both in variouse things but i still run mobil in my cherokee. plus thats what chrysler runs in vipers, crossfires, and the new 300 Hemi C

1 - 4 of 4 Posts