Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a none running 84 RC 4x4. Have no idea of the history but the young feller's Dad said it "did run good...". The young guy said it wouldn't start, so he replaced the starter, but still didn't start. I assume he meant it wouldn't crank. Pulled the brown starter wire off the relay and touched it to the battery and it cranked fine. So I started digging into the wiring mess under the hood...
Humm, Scotchlock in the main power feed...I didn't know they made ScotchLocks that big!!!
OH NO, THE EMISSION CONTROL MODULES SPRUNG AN OIL LEAK!!!
Finally found the problem, there was a shorted electronic rocker arm...who would have guessed? They decided to-heck with valve cover gasket connector, considering the problems the Powerstroke has with them, just run the wire directly under the valve cover!!!
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Metal
Wood Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Wood Automotive wheel system

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
84's do not have anything electrical under the valve cover.

· Registered
32,120 Posts
howdy and welcome / LOL there is NO such thing as an "electronic rocker arm " on a dodge truck of that year , i,d say they just bolted down the valve cover and didnt know the wire was under there

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,451 Posts
Powerstroke?? Valve cover gasket connector?? Did you check to make sure the muffler bearing is still good? What da.... 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: RCCADMAN

· Registered
32,120 Posts
Powerstroke?? Valve cover gasket connector?? Did you check to make sure the muffler bearing is still good? What da.... 🤔
you dont know that the Furd powerless stroke has a $400 valve cover gasket with wires running thru it LOL

Reactions: Lzed

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,451 Posts
I did, I just don't know that Dodge did too, especially with a 1984 318 in it. 🤔

· Registered
32,120 Posts
Reactions: Levisdad

· Super Moderator
14,595 Posts
Agree with DB. Nice truck. Very little looks bad. You should've seen what mine looked like when I got it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts